Fuel Economy on an Audi 80 1.6

M Dogg

M Dogg
Reaction score
Can anyone assist in telling me if my fuel economy is correct?? Its a 1995 80, 1.6. It only has 86000 miles on the clock and runs like new. I put £40 of petrol in my car last week and have done about 160 miles since, the needle is now under the quarter tank marker suggesting that i only have about 50 miles or so left (going on past experience with this car). I have only had the car a few months but it seems pretty heavy on the fuel? By my calculations i'm only getting about 25-28mpg.(urban driving).

It just sailed through an MOT so cant be anything obvious wrong with it.

Also, while i'm asking, i have read 2 conflicting pieces of info on my engine. How much BHP does it have? as i have seen on one website it was 76 and another said 101??

Thanks again

You are doing vey well if you get 28mpg urban with an heavy old barge like that. I have a 93 L 2.0E and driving like a vicar on a month of sundays gives me a monthly average of 30-31mpg and thats with a lot of fast A road driving. Dont forget the 1.6 (100bhp which yours is) may be underpowered for the weight. Do you drive fast? Have you checked tyre pressure, changed air and oil filters and spark plugs. Try one thing at a time and check your mpg.

Best way is to check mpg is fill tank to say two clicks, drive until tank says half and fill up to two clicks again. Work out liters put back in to gallons. Divide mileage by gallons to get an accurate average mpg. Try this with all driving types to get a range of mpg's

Can I congratulate you an the choice of car, brill cars the 80's I have had mine for 3 years and wouldnt have anything else.

Let us know how it goes

Thanks for the advice, i'm getting a full service done at the end of the week so hopefully that will sort it out!

It's a quality car! the build quality and comfort are 2nd to none, and that small 1.6 is surprisingly sprightly! And yeah, i do drive kinda fast sometimes, which may account for the poor fuel economy!! mystery solved! :idea: