1996 S6 buying advice

enda1

Reaction score
Folks.

Thinking of buying a 96 S6 2.3 turbo auto with 77K miles on the clock. It's got a FASH and is alot of car for the money. Can anyone give me a few pointers on what to look out for in particular with the engine

Usually front arms knock, brake wear fronts, rear calipers seizing, headlight melting internally as they are plastic. Coil pack wiring becomes brittle.

nothing else to report just going on what i have found on my URS4.

Craig

I was reading up on the control arms and they seem straight forward to replace, but the front subframe bushes seem a big job, have you ever had to replace these are is it just the control arms and the arb bushings. Do you have a source for new control arms or just the usual like GSF. The coil pack wiring, do you mean the internal windings of the coil or just the HT leads. is it a big job to replace the coil pack.

Forgot about the front arms. Not had to replace any on my cars. Yet! The coils are expensive to replace. Most people convert to the 1.8T coils. As they are cheaper to buy. It is the wiring to the Pos to each coil. The wiring travels across the top of the rocker cover and the heat makes the wires brittle.

Craig

Bought it today.

Its a 1996 auto with 73 K on the clock HPI clear and FASH. Full leather interior with carbon trim and full electrics. I ran a vagcom autoscan on it and it showed no problems. The service history had a bout £8K in bills since 2000 so its in great nick. I drove it from weymouth to birmingham today in the ******* rain and it is f&*king brilliant, just need to buy some shares in shell