Audi 80e 2.0l 1993 wont start

bsgj1977

Reaction score
I have just picked up a 2lt 80e L/reg.
It ran sweet on the way home from place of sale (around 50miles), and then when came to drive it the next day it wouldn't start.
I knew the battery needed changing, so I did this.
I also changed the plugs and HT leads.
I have checked the dizzy cap and rotor and they look fine.
It turns over and wants to start, so I am thinking it is a fueling problem?
There is a really rich smell coming from the exhaust.
I have cleaned out the fuel pipe as it was clogged with crap.
It still doesnt start, and when it does it dies straight away.
I am looking into fuel relays or diconnecting the ecu to reset to the factory setting. Would this help???
I have notice that there is no whirring sound when the key is turned.
The fuel gauge is internitant and the temp gauge doesnt work at all. Would this effect the ecu and fueling???
Can anyone help, as I dont want to end up spending a fortune on parts that I dont need.
Any info would be great.
Many thanks!!!!!!!

I'd leave the ECU alone as it sounds like a fuel pump problem. The temp guage not working won't affect the ECU as it uses a seperate sensor. First thing I would do is trace the fuel pump relay take it out and shove it back in again then get some one to turn the ign on (not to start) and see if you can feel it tick, if you can it could have been a dodgy connection and will be worth further investigation. If that seems fine and there is still no go then I suspect the pump has burned out and will need replacing. Good luck, it'll be fine!

Thanks for the reply I will try it and let you know how I get on.

Cheers..

if there's a rich petrol smell i'd discount the fuel pump as there's evidently fuel present. sounds to me like the temp sender that monitors engine temp and enrichens the mixture for cold starts has gone faulty, it's a fairly common problem.

lift the bonnet and look at the water hose that comes from the top of the engine towards the passenger side of the car, there'll be 2 switches in it. i can't remember which one it is but the fault is one of them, it's the one that has the bosch type plug on it. try disconnecting that and the ecu will revert to a basic map and the car should start but it might have an erratic tickover untill warm. in a nutshell what happens is the internal resistance goes through the roof and the ecu then thinks the engine is clap cold and pumps in loads of petrol to try to richen it enough in what it thinks is sub zero temps, hence the smell of fuel.

I have check the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump and they are both turning over when the ignition is turned on.
I have taken Daves advice and have replaced the temp sender unit, also the rad thermostat, (as the fan was coming on when the ignition was turned on), and I have also removed the ECU.
I have read that the ECU will reset itself back to factory settings if taken out for 24hrs, (I dont know if is the case, but will try it anyway), and will refit tomorrow.
Dave thanks for the help, and also thanks for the help from other threads.
Great site, with great members!!!
Cheers lads!!!!!

Hello Dave,
Have connected the ECU, new temp sender is in and rad thermo switch, and still no start.
There is still the strong smell of fuel, but now it isnt even coughing.
Just to confirm what does the Bosch type of plug look like???
Also, are the 2 switches on the top of the water pipe that is coming into the engine bay then into the engine???
Sorry to be so dim, but have no experience with Audi, and no manual to help.
Cheers...
Ben..

Have tried every way and it still wont start.
Now I am confused:think: :think: ..
Dave do you know of any other common faults it could be???
Cheers mate,
Ben..

My dads one had a similar fault, first time it broke down it was the fuel pump,2nd time it was the coilpack.On his car the ignition module and coil are one unit. £85 plus vat for a new one,or £38 deliverd for a used one,its due here monday,so will let you know.

Have you checked for a spark from the king lead?

The guage thing is a standard fault, it cost us around a fuver for a little chip thing that goes on the back of the clocks to fix that

a B4 won't have seperate coil packs, that fault was on 2000/2001 B5 models. it still sounds like the temp thing to me, have you pulled the plugs, chances are they could be fouled now because of trying to start it with so much petrol going in. if you haven't got a plug spanner the back end of the wheelbrace is designed to be used as one.

Will remove the plugs and clean them, just to make sure, (they are brand new set).
The coil pack looks new, but you never know.
The fuel pump is definatly turning over and there is fuel being dumped into the injectors as the plugs smell of fuel and looked damp, and there is still strong smell from the exhaust.
Bryzan that would be great if you get one in.
Thanks again to everyone for there help.
I will keep you posted..

As to Byzanz point are you getting any spark. Take out one of the spark plugs, reattach the HT lead and then hold the lower plug electrode against the engine block. Now get someone to try to start the car. If there is no spark then the fault is somewhere in the ignition circuit. Repeat the process with supply lead to the distrubtor(be careful its high voltage). If no spark then the fault is further back to the ignition/HT coil. It may be a loose input wire to the coil.

Just a thought and not meaning to insult you but have you put the plug leads in the correct order?

Another thing to check is that the injectors are secure. They are only held in with a spring clip and I have had one of these snap before with the same symptoms you are describing. The other simple thing is that you may have an air lock in the fuel line from when you cleaned it.

Good Luck

Tim

The coil pack has gone.
Bryzan A4 I am interested in coil pack if you have one.
If so please respond asap or mail me www.jobnd3@aol.com
Cheers mate.
Thanks again for everyones help
See ya

If Bryzans is from an A4 then I don't think its going to fit the 80

Have fitted new coil pack and now have spark, but the car still wont start.
Has anyone got a diagram of the firing order for this model???
Just incase it is firing in the wrong order..
Many thanks...

Have the right firing order and the car starts!!!! BUT!!!!
It cuts out again.
F$$K knows what to look at next:think: :think:
Only ran on 3 pistons then just died :confused: :confused:
Am getting worried now as there seems to be be loads of problems like posted in forums for 1992-1995 80s, and most meant spending a bomb, Fck.
Oh well machanic coming out tomorrow morn and I will let you know how he goes.

My car wouldn't start once at a petrol station, turned out to be the air intake manifold (big black thing) was loose and didn't have a vacuum. Could check yours, make sures it's on nice and tight