Hi there new audi owner here.

jettaglxdriver

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1990 Audi 90 20V quattro 2 days ago.. struggling to find info as easily as it is on vortex and other VW sites.. This place looks pretty good however..

Already on car I have a few questions.. Timing. Where should be set at and at what RPM do you set it. I will just run premium (91 octane) if it lets me run more advance. I had timing gun out yesterday and verified all cylinders had something going on with every plug wire (inductive gun was triggering off spark that is). I also checked compression and got about 130 psi on every cylinder. It was idling rough. I read somewhere else to advance timing some. At about 2500 rpm (as best I could tell by sound from under hood) it was showing about 12+ is that too much.. It runs smooth and don't appear to be pinging.

Thanks for your help. I live over 7200 feet elevation so i think a 20V turbo swap is in order hehe.

You cannot alter timing - all done by ecu. Distributor is just there to send spark to correct plug, you cannot change timing by rotating it on these cars.

For everything you need to know about this car, check www.20v.org. It will answer anything you need to know.

Turbo not a possibility unless you do a complete engine swap - $thousands!!

OK cannot change timing.

As for turbo I have to finish my turbo project on my jetta GLX first before I can do this one.. I live in Colorado Springs so altitude takes so much HP away I need to make up for it.