Should I get this work done on my 1996 A6?

cble8869

Reaction score
I recently took my 1996 A6 i as a check engine light was on. They charged me 215 dollars just for the diagnostic. Anyhow, They tell me the thermostat is bad and should be replaced. The estimate is 635 for just the thermostat. They also said that since my car is near 60,000 miles, It would be a good Idea to get the timing belt changed out since the thermostat has to be removed to replace the timing belt. So they total est. for both problems is at 1250 right now! Should I go ahead and get both done? or is it really not necessary to get all this done. ( What the heck is a thermostat anyhow? I assume it controls the cars inside temp but I haven't noticed that it's not working properly and that seems really steep ( 635 ) for a heating / cooling unit. Anybody have a little insite as to if I should have any of this work done? Thx a ton, really worried about foirking out the cash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think you should get the work done, the thermostat they mention controls the flow of water through the radiator, and the belt, well when they snap it is new engine time.
I would take the car to another garage for the work though as the quotes you received are way too high!
All the best!

Dog

They sound like a bunch of crooks to me, although the belt is expensive to change they are half way there with the thermostat out. When changing the belt get the tensioner pully, idler pully and water pump done at the same time. I did all this and the crank oil seal myself for around £150 inc VAG parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif