Audi 80 2.0 Keeps cutting out when cold

Estoril Sport

Reaction score
I've got an old 1993 Audi 80 2.0L non-injection. When it's cold, it keeps cutting out until it warms up. I find that I have to keep my foot slightly on the accelerator all the time to keep it going for the fist 5 minutes, i.e. if I stop at traffic lights, I have to very carefully brake, then put my foot immediately back on the accelerator lightly while I wait, to keep it ticking over. If I brake suddenly, it always stalls. I think the automatic choke might be the problem. Is this an easy thing to fix? Is it something I could fix myself? Or can anyone recommend a good, honest independent Audi garage in the Nottingham area? I've mentioned this problem at two 'autocentre' type garages, when I've had the car serviced/MOT'd and neither was able to fix it, or even find the fault - they just charged me an arm and leg for other things they 'found', but it made no difference to the stalling problem.

This car is a single point fuel injection system with the injection system resembling a carb and the fuelling etc is electonic. I've got the same car and any problems I've had with the engine running poorly has always been down to problems in the vacuum system. There are quite a few connections under the airfilter housing Check this first and let me know how you get on