Audi 100 Cluster Problem

dmraver71

Reaction score
I have a problem with the Instrument cluster in my 1991 Audi 100 (non-quatro). When the lights are on, both turn signal indicators are illuminated. Turning either the turn signal or the emergency flashers at this time causes both signal indicators to flash as well as the high beam indicator and intermittantly the clock. I have replaced the voltage regulator, and later the entire instrument cluster. Any suggestions as to what to do to rectify this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

No, why do you ask?
I am not the original owner, although it seems unlikely that a towbar was ever attached.

Usually the symptom you describe is related to a bad earth on the wiring to the towbar, caused by the use of ScotchLocks and it creates a short, showing up in the dash as the fault you have.

It still sounds as though theres the same symptom at your dashboard pod though, down in the footwell, on the drivers door pillar, remove the trim and have a look HIGH up in the pillar for the Earthing point, usually a Goldish coloured Multipoint "Snowflake" for want of a better word, This is where all Earths for the front looms connect to, make sure its well clean and earthed properly. For the Lights on the Dash to work in this way I'd definitely go for a bad Earth...It's just tracing the Damn thing....

Oh! and another one that just occurred to me... change the relay for the Indicators, it may be on the way out and that will give you the same fault!
I've had this on another car , whereby the relay stuck on and this caused the indicators to stay on... accompanied with a "Buzzing" of the relay stuck in position...