lonnnngggggg start problem....

DoctorD15

Reaction score
Alright I've got an 87' 5000cs TQ. I'm in the midst of a start problem. The car starts, but I have to turn the key and hold it there for about 5-10 seconds until the engine finally turns over and starts. At first I thought it was a cold start issue, but I just figured out that it happens, hot or cold. After the car starts up though and i turn it off, I can start the engine again and it will fire right up. Within about 2 hours the car will fire up, but as I wait longer, the car goes back to its original lonnnngggg start. Has anyone come across a problem similiar to this? What types of things can I check or what could be causing this?

Uk Version = 200 Turbo Quattro

Is this a 10 or 20 valve engine? Engine Code MB or WR?

On the end of the Fuel rail there is a small round "tank"/Drum (Can't remember its correct name), approximately 1.5" in Diameter with an connect either side, inlet & exit with an arrow indicating flow carved on it. Change this as this is a (I remember now!!) Fuel regulator and acts as a non return valve, so when you draw fuel into the Injectors to start the car, this "Stores" the fuel to allow and is a type of non return valve at the same time, stopping the fuel travelling back down the line. It sounds as though this has failed, allowing fuel to travel back, hence the Loooooooooooooonnnnnnngg Starting!