newbie....name the part...

DoctorD15

Reaction score
Can anyone varify that this is the idle stabalizer valve from the picture below. It is located to the right of the air duct and right between the turbocharger and windshield washer fluid container. In one end it has a harness connection and the other is connected to a hose that looks like it leads to the turbo. When I turn on the power to the car (not start) it gives a buzz and i am not sure if this is good or not. So if anyone can varify that this is the idle stabzlizer valve and if a buzzing is good or bad taht would be great. Thanks

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/DoctorD415/unknownpart1.jpg

very dodgie picture could you take from further out ..were you say it is positioned sounds like ISV

I'd have to agree there Steve on both counts a dodgy photo indeed, but yes it is the ISV...

However, on what car though... usually the ISV is on the opposite side from the water resevoir...So I'd like to see a bit more...

if it is connected to the turbo it is like the n75 waste gate control solenoid.

which car is it, so we can eliminate the possibilities further...

200 Turbo quattro Guys!

Yep, then its the Idle Stabilization Valve (ISV)

and yes a "buzz" or "hum" off the valve is good as it means that the valve is working.. although possibly on its way out. The valve should be silent when new and as it grows older may start to buzz.. so long as the Idle is still working and steady. Take the valve off completely and clean with Carb cleaner until spotless, then lube with some 3in1 oil and work the trap door, then replace...