2.6 or 2.8

grant_coupe

Reaction score
hi
in need in some advice i currently have a audi coupe 2.6v6 and have got the chance of a 2.8 v6 engine conversion for 450 fitted. the engne was rebuilt aprox 5 years ago with lots of reciepts and has 120000 on the clock. would i get that much more out of this engine? much more power?

25 bhp! I asked at the Audi Driver Q&A session if there was any way to give the 2.6 more go and the answer was a flat NO. How much for a 1.8T or 5CLY 20V turbo though?

i havent priced them up. would love a s2 engine in it. would be happy with the 2.8 if it was gona be quicker. is it worth it for 400 pound?

Only you can really decide that one. 25 BHP increase is a fair whack and should give you faster acceleration. £400 is pretty cheap for an engine swap! How much do you like the rest of the car? As it won't make it worth £400 more.

Going to go for it i think so should get it done in a few weeks. my coupe wont be worth alot, but i think spending 400 on the engine will be money well spent. Found a FSE boost valve for it aswell so might purchase one of those later on.

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know how you get on and what the result is!

I would secretly love my 2.6 to blow so I have a justifiable excuse to stick somthing with a bit more poke under the big metal flap at the front!

grant_coupe said:
Going to go for it i think so should get it done in a few weeks. my coupe wont be worth alot, but i think spending 400 on the engine will be money well spent. Found a FSE boost valve for it aswell so might purchase one of those later on.

Good move Grant you will notice the diffence:racer:

Not good news, dont think the conversion will be happening, the guy who were doing the work for me, removed the 2.8 engine and said the wireing looms are completly different and the air flow meter was going to be a problem? gutted!!

******!! I would have thought that he would have taken in to account swaping the ECU and relavant bits. Console your self by fitting a new exhaust system that makes the 2.6 sound more throaty. ;-)

I have a complete 2.8 saloon sitting outside my house which was written off last week. Damage mainly cosmetic (ie panels and lights) but un-economical repair. Would supply all parts for 2.8 swap.
Awaiting settlement (that should be a laugh trying to prove what it was worth!!!). Will buy back salvage from insurance if anyone is interested in car for parts.

Alan

Whats probably heppened there is the 2.6 is a lowly 12valve motor and the 2.8 is a 30valve engine, the difference is around 50 bhp ie 150 bhp up to 193 /197bhp.
you needed the 2.8 12 valve to have the looms match up but you would need the donor cars ecu to allow the engine to run properly ( or at least know someone good with ecu's)
lord how i wish there was a turbo or super charger for the 12v motors.