Badger5Sky Insurance

Thread: Petrol Smell

Reverse Gear

Status

Petrol Smell

Hi i need some imput over the last couple of days noticed a smell of petrol in car checked under the bonnet all is bone dry under side of car all dry as well appears to be no leaks it seems to be coming through the fresh air vents in cabin any ideas would be appreciated alan

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Hi Alan, 'fraid I have no experience of Audi 80's, but I had a similar prob on my B6 A4; the cabin filled with a petrol smell. Like you, no appearent leaks, drive-way remaimed dry etc. Called out Audi Assist who immediately pinpointed it as a tiny crack in the fuel filter - enough to let the smell out but not enough to result in a drip. Replaced in about 20 mins. On the A4 the filter is located on the underside beneath the drivers side passenger door. No idea where it is located on the 80 but it could be a contender for your problem.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for that shall have a look same thing driveway all dry so could be there is a filter in same place

1st Gear

Status
    I had this in my coupe 20v, problem turned out to be; the carbon cannister unable to empty itself of petrol fumes, because there was a big split in the engine breather hose. Changed the hose, no more smell.