poorly car... again

symeon

Reaction score
Ok, getting a little sick of my 80E. First off it was leaking clutch fluid into the car from the master cylinder, then a couple months ago the ignition coil died all of a sudden in the middle of nowhere, and then wednesday night I lost all transmission as I pulled in to get some petrol.
I appear to have lost the bolt that goes through the centre of the hub into the driveshaft, somewhere between work and the tesco garage about 3 miles away. Now, I say bolt, as that was what the RAC bloke told me (not had chance to look at it yet) but Ive been told by different sources its a nut, or a bolt, and that it could be this, or that or whatever and I wanted to see if anyone here could tell me what Im looking at, because Im just sick now.
If anyone has an exploded diagram of the driveshaft etc into the hub that would be really appreciated, as Haynes have no manual for the 80, because 'there wasnt enough made', apparently.

Cheers.
Sy

I can't put up a picture, but it looks likely that it should be a bolt that screws into the end of the CV joint splined shaft. (Need year and engine code to be certain) You could check yourself, just have a look at the 'good side'?
I would carefully check the male cv splines and the female hub splines for damage before you try to reassemble this, also check cv boot is not torn.

Hi mate.
I managed to see down the hub centre to see it was a bolt rather than a nut. I couldnt do that earlier because I couldnt find a working torch lol.
Its a dealer only part, so awaiting one to be delivered to the local dealer, gonna be tuesday cos I missed the deadline for tomorrows delivery. What happened to monday I dont know.
The cv boot isnt torn, I undid it to see if there was any damage to the joint itself so gonna need to refit it now. Couldnt see any damage, and the splines seem ok too.
Its due an MOT this month anyway, so once Ive got the bolt in and working its going in for a full check to see if its worth keeping the car. I hope it is, I really like it, and I dont want to have to get used to a new car again.

Either that or I might just buy a pushbike, less to go wrong lol.

Sy

woohoo!!
Sorted the ****** thing, finally.
I got the replacement bolt, but instead of it being a standard bolt head like the original, it was a 14mm allen head, and its taken the last week to find someone who actually stocks a tool of that size.
Got the tool today, put the bolt in, tightened it up fully, took it on a test drive and its fine, just need a new exhaust now lol.

Sy