audi coupe 2.3 e cold start problems

buzby3xx

Reaction score
hi , i have just bought a cheap audi 2.3e coupe,amongst a number of problems there is a reluctance to start from cold,almost as thought the choke/cold start is not operating.i would wellcome any advice on how to check this device.the car run perfectly once started and warmed up for a minute or so:) and the most cost effective route to repair /replace.cheers.

Lambda sensor might be faulty , reads the temp of the emissions to tell the ECU when to richen and when to weaken fuel mixture like a choke

Is it a 20v or 10v

hi ,its a 20v as far as i am aware, i presumed(rightly or perhaps wrongly?) that the 2.3 is a 20v?.is it poss to check the lambda sensor?,would it show up as a fault code?
it must be a sensor of some type as you rightly point me to, as once the car is started it settles down to a healthy tick over of approximately 750-850 rpm.many thanks for your advice so far , one further point is that the drivers carpet is wet ,i have read an article recently in the a lot of coupes seem to suffer from various leaks!,and it may well be something as simple as a blocked drain vent in the door,or ar ethe door seals prone to leaking ?:)

If you go to www.20v.org and scroll down you will see problem section and it has full details what to do

leaking can be caused by door seal which is common or the bonnet cable gromit that comes out of the bulk head been brittle and as you say the corner of the inner wings full of crap and the water is sitting and leaking through

Cheers

excellent advice ,and many thanks , i will check the leak problem over the weekend ,and have a quick look at the link you have given,cheers,buzby:racer:

A couple of things; if its a 2.3E, its a 10v, if its a 20v it will say so on boot, log book even the engine itself!
You can still read fault codes on the 10v NG engine, but can only do it with the engine running. Ideally you would warm it up, drive the car, use all of the throttle range and exceed 3000 rpm a few times. then connect up the code reader and read codes still with the engine running. When you turn off the ignition any stored codes are lost.
Sorry to disagree, but I don't see the cold start fault being the lambda probe. This sensor is ignored by the ECU until the engine reaches somewhere near its operating temperature. I would look at the temp sender for the ECU.
It's usually located on the cyl head somewhere, I'm not sure where on an NG.
Rear lights are a weak point for water leaks too.

thanks once again for the advice, after doing a fair few miles in it this weekend, i am guessing that there is more than one fault?,as i stated there is the cold start issue and a tick over problem in that once the car is fully warmed the tick over alters as either it moves up the range to around 2k or hunts for a second then returns to normal in a way that you would possibly associate with a lambda problem.looks like one of those cheap cars im going to spend a few hours sorting! lol,before i finally decide if i should keep it!

i have sprayed all the door,window and sunroof seals with silicone and are now looking for a drivers side rear light as it presently has a hole in it which wont help with keeping the interior dry!:no:

just an update to say a couple of other forums also point to the temp sensor as the first place to check as it seems a common problem,and a cheapie to fix:racer: