Audi 80 cabriolet fuel consumption..........

joncat

Reaction score
Hi all,
a bit of advice needed here :

l reg cabriolet 2.0, 78K miles new plugs air filter, oil change etc and I am getting 90 (ninety) miles for £20.........

Surely something is amiss here ?

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome,

Cheers all,

Jon (skint)

No that does not sound right would look around air mass flow meter..looks like you have to much of a rich mixture..what colour were the plugs when you replaced them?

Thhe plugs were a bit black, but not that bad - mostly brown.....

I had the emissions checked today - okay apparently.

Any ideas what the mpg should be for this model ?

Had it checked - apparently okay............

Looks like a trip to an audi dealership to see whats what.

Anybody know of a decent non franchised outfit in South Wales ???

Far too sensibly for my own good !

I don't thrash it, 75 / 80 on motorways, pretty much limits everywhere else !

Isn't the set up just a heavy 2.0 audi 80 really ??

Jon.

Only other thing I can think of is the ECU temperature sender, if this is sending duff information, the ECU might think the engine is cold all the time so keeps the cold enrichment (choke) turned on?
Where are you in South Wales, only indies I know of are Keith Watkins, Llandevenny nr Newport, and there was another one in Tintern nr Chepstow, I forget the name...

What should the temperature be, approx ?

It never gets very warm to be honest........possible the previous owner pulled the thermostat ?

I am in Bridgend btw, suppose Cardiff is my best bet.

I'll check the yellow pages.

I just went to Tenby and back - cost me approx £32 !!!

Jon.

Would make a difference if the temp did not go up to normal running temp car should sit at 90 when at normal running temp.....whats it sitting at

The ECU temp sender is not usually linked to the gauge reading, in other words, the gauge could be reading ok but the ecu temp sender could still be faulty.
If the thermostat was sticking open, your engine might not be getting hot, so the gauge would stay low AND the ECU would keep throwing extra fuel in..
I doubt it would run THAT cool in summer, even a British summer!