80 Sport -breakdown recovered by AA. Fuel injection??

bees

Reaction score
Hi All,
Last week I was recovered by the AA! Driving along happliy in my Mreg 80 sport - 2.0 8v, when the engine just cuts out.
Traced the problem i believe to no fuel. The injectors are not being triggered. The distributor trigger is working, which leads me to think the problem must be in ECU, or wires from Distributor to ECU / ECU to fuel rail.

Anybody know how to get to the ECU on an 80?? or any other relevant tips.

Nightmere of the a problem this one. Already changed the Fuel Pump and Filter, and distributor so far...

Appreciate any help
Thx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif
Bees

The way you have broken down it sounds like its a relay problem..........there is a Fuel Pump Relay and on that model it is a common fault for them to pack in

Cheers

good advice, its one of the first things i checked, but the pump is working (I've replaced the blaster!), theres fuel pressure in the rail - just no signal to the injectors.

I set the injection sys up on top of the engine and turned the dizzy around by hand. No voltage to the rail, on cranking either. Put 12v to the rail however and pssssst - working fine, wet plugs!

Thx

Bees.

Sorry dont know. its the ABK engine type. I've ordered an audi technical cd through ebay - trying to find technical info about my car seems very difficult - no haynes manaul etc.
Of the two audi types i know, its got the steel fuel rail above the injectors, not the fuel body with pipes to the cylinders - which is probably no help at all!

I read that you can communicate with that ecu using vag-com. Download the freeware verson from ross tech and buy the appropriate lead to connect to your diagnostic plug(s). The ECU itself may be located at the front of the passenger footwell, (in front of glovebox). The diagnostic connectors may be above the accelerator pedal,(like the older cars) or in the fusebox like the v6's.

Thx, was hoping to never have to know where the ECU was, let alone mess about wth it, but hey ho.

I think the wiring on my car is too thin, several wires have already broken internally so I hope its wiring to the ECU not the unit itself.

Bees /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rev-head, thanks very much.
The Audi technical CD I brought via eBay doesnt cover my injection system (all US stuff), so this will be very helpful.

Do you know where the ECU is? I pulled out the glovebox a few minutes ago - I couldnt see one??

THX

Bees

80 Series up to '91 Under Passenger Side of Dash, Above the Glove Box
80 Series '92-up Behind Passenger Kick Panel

Cheers

The Update

Injection system is Digifant!

Found the ECU, no obvious fault, wiring fine. Put it all back together, same problem - no start.

Called an Auto electrician, he turned the key and it ran. I waited for it to stop - 5 mins, 15 min ...

20 miles now and I'm waiting for it to stop again.

Who knows, maybe it was a dirty connection... ???

No way all that and worked when he came..typical..well at least it is going now