Help - Any ideas on a noise?

mramage

Reaction score
Mate was looking at an old shape S6 today, 95M with almost 140K on the clock. It's a "weekend" car, won't do a lot of miles, but he wants something a bit special.

Anyway, drove it, but there's a heavy whine/grate/noise noticable in first gear, especially under load? In 2nd and above it's hardly there at all, just first. Engine itself sounds great. What does that leave? Torsen diff? Gearbox? Something else?

Any ideas? He's might get an AA inspection done, but I wondered if anyone had any experience of such a thing before spending the dosh on that.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

just a thaught but i had that noise on a A6 tdi, not quite the same car i no , but it turned out to be the intercooler pipe which runs beheind the front bumper, this was bent causing the front engine steady to rub against it when u accelerated hard in first, later found out that the car had hit a fox at 60mph about 2 month before.
why cant people just tell the truth , took me about 2 hours to find it !
hope that helps.

Moral of the story.... If in doubt, walk away, this sounds expensive, and could be the clutch release bearing, or the box itself, Early fivepots were prone on high mileage to have the internals move on the layshaft, and this would also cause the problems you describe, it would also be difficult to engage gear.

Regards
Dave M