Airbag assistance

caminator

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Somewhat new Audi owner here, but I have basically no clue about the cars. I have a 1998 Audi A4 2.8L V6.

I am in the process of getting my car state inspecteion and emission test done(USA). I have taken the car to 3 different car care centers, and none of them can hook their little scanner thing up to my car's computer and read info on it.

I talked to the dealer and they said it might be my after market stereo that is causing this. I don't beleive this is the problem because it was inspected last year with the same stereo, and nothing has changed on the car since. Anyway, my airbag light just came on a couple weeks ago, and I think that might be the issue. Does anyone know how to disable the interface on the airbag? Is it as simple as pulling a fuse for that? Any ideas on how to disable the airbag so that I can hook up a scanner to see if it will read my computer in the car for a minute, I would greatly appreciate them. THANKS!!!

They may well be correct on the aftermarket car radio affecting the readout. Or to be more specific, a lot of garages will refuse to test a car that has an aftermarket radio. This is because if the radio has been wired up by an inexperienced installer, they may have connected the aerial power lead to the CPU diagnostics by mistake. If this has happened and they connect their testers, the extra power in the circuit can damage their test equipment. Since this equipment is very expensive, i don't blame them for refusing. If any of them are connecting their equipment, then they may be getting false readings (some testers have protection circuits built in).

As for the airbag light, I would go and get that checked with a dealer as soon as possible. I also would not be tempted myself to disconnect any fuses or wires as i regard the risk of injury to be too high, especially if not familiar with the systems.

However, don't despair, there are others on this forum with far greater skills than I have and I am sure one of them will respond before long.

have a google on "K line" and aftermarket stereo's.

Some stereo's put a voltage down this wire and interferes with the management of some controllers.

EDIT:

Oh sod it, i'm bored, here you go:

http://www.v-techuk.com/radio_problem.htm