JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

New to forum...Kindly appreciate any help on non-starting Quattro 90

I have faith in this forum. I need it! I posted on 2 other Audi forums with no response.
    My 1988 90 (10v) is DOA. The compression is good on all cylinders, spark is there plugs look burned and hot like it is firing with insuffcient fuel, it is getting fuel up to the fuel distributor and sending fuel back on the fuel return line. Aircleaner is unblocked. A mechanic friend had a look and is pretty sure it is the fuel distributor but I rarely have seen one go bad? Could this be the ECU that would control the fuel flow to the injectors? Maybe a sensor? I have heard the hall sender, fuel pump relay, cam position sensor sometimes can shut down an engine. I am completely stumped. What can I try short of towing it to my local Audi/Porsche dealer for $100+ an hour labor. It's been reliable up to 213k miles. Serviced regularly. One thing was it was rear ended lightly a month back. Ran fine after it, but then it died and just won't start, left me stranded. Has anybody encountered a similiar problem? Many thanx to anyone who can help

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: New to forum...Kindly appreciate any help on non-starting Quattro 90

Are you certain the fuel pump is running, the relay does go bad and gives these type of problems.
    Are you getting good fuel flow? It's possible for an excessively dirty fuel filter to break up and clog the pressure line.
    If its a 2.3 NG engine, you might be able to pull ECU fault codes?

6th Gear

Status

Re: New to forum...Kindly appreciate any help on non-starting Quattro 90

I agree with Scotty on this one ...sounds very fuel related problem..block fuel filter/Pump/Relay..if you do a search on this forum you will see guys with the same problem as yourself

Cheers

4th Gear

Status

Re: New to forum...Kindly appreciate any help on non-starting Quattro

A no start problem could be from a couple of possibles. It sounds like your fuel pump is running fine as you are getting fuel delivery and return fuel to the tank, which means the distributor is getting fuel, so it is unlikely that the filter is blocked enough, though perhaps still worth renewing to make sure.
    You mention burnt spark plugs and a possibility of insufficient fuel. If you search this forum you will find a lot of posts on air leaks. My suggestion is first check all the vaccum/inlet/engine crankcase breather hoses... all of those ultimately connect to the inlet side of the injection system after the fuel/air distributor, this means that if any of those are leaking then you get false air/extra air which the fuel distributor has not metered. Hence a no-start/poor running condition. Because of the burnt plugs I would look here first. It may be as simple as a split air hose or a loose connection on the engine breather hose that has caused something to come off?

Have a look at that and let me know. If you can post any pics of the hoses and inlet, do it, one of us might be able to spot something.

If it is not caused by the above then we can work through other possible causes.

Reverse Gear

Status

Thank you all for the knowledge you have provided so far. I knew there were quite a few of you who have the expertise. I'm going to check for air leaks and the possibility of something further going wrong with the fuel delivery. The car is far from my home and broken down in a parking lot. It's a bummer it could'nt have waited to break down in my driveway...Murphy's Law!

Reverse Gear

Status

I was finally able to get to my beloved Audi sitting alone in the parking lot. First thing I did was run the fault code per a friends suggestion. It came up 4444 with no faults....hmmm. I noticed there was no noise whatsoever from the rear to suggest the fuel pump was working. It's normally at least a little audible isn't it? The fuse was good for the fuel pump. Could the fuel pump not work and still give no faults on the error codes? I did notice a hose that looked like a vacuum line that went to the engine block was collapsed and totally sucked in like it was sucking air that was blocked from the source. Maybe something is blocked causing this? I am not sure which vacuum line this is. It appears that it is below the distributor down near the engine block. I appologize for my newb mechanic skills. Any ideas?

1st Gear

Status

As far as I know, the 10v NG engine code
    does not store its fault codes after the ignition is switched off. To 'see' fault codes, ideally tou need to drive the car, until warmed up, drive it through the full rev range and all throttle positions then connect up the fault code reader with it still running. I know that is not going to work with your non runner, but you need to try turning it over on the starter then leave the ignition on when trying out the code reader. Maybe you did, but thought it worth mentioning!
    The hse you describe sounds like the crankcase breather hose. The crankcase breather itself is the dome shape where the hose attaches to the block. This could be blocked with oil/carbon. It is common for the hose to collapse/split. Audi superceded the hose with a steel pipe shaped to do the job. It won't be helping your engine's smooth running, but I doubt it would stop it?
    You can force the fuel pump to run by bridging together the two biggest terminals on the fuel pump relay socket. These should be the 12v live feed and the live supply to the fuel pump. It would be dangerous to drive the car like this, as you can't shut the fuel pump off with the ignition.

4th Gear

Status

If you can't hear the fuel pump, then either the fuse has gone (already checked), fuel pump relay is faulty, or the pump itself has failed/siezed (also likely on a higher millage engine). Try changing the fuel pump relay (you will need to get one from Audi). Remember that the pump will only run for 2 -5 seconds without the engine running so you need to listen for it in those first seconds of cranking/turning the ignition on. It is designed to build the pressure up and then stop unless the engine starts...

I would change the breather hose. That can cause a MAJOR air leak in the system (as in anyone with K. KE or KEIII Jetronic systems will be able to tell you, remove the oil filler cap while the car is running and it will die, it therefore makes sense that if the crankcase breather is collapsed then there will be a major air leak). You may as well check the other vacuum pipes at the same time. Just use logic to see where air leaks could come from around the inlet side. ie any pipes leading off from the inlet manifold...

There are other engine position sensors and alarm/immobilisers that can affect starting, but you should start with those already mentioned obvious things first. Change the fuel pump relay and the crankcase breather and let us know what happens...

Reverse Gear

Status

Well I am hoping I didn't screw it up even further. I decided to try to bypass the fuel pump relay with a wire, I heard the pump come on in the engine bay but it still did not start, then I switched the key off and now even with the key off and out of the ignition there is the beeping alarm like when the lights are left on or the door is open, also the radio is on with the key out. Had to dis-connect the battery. I think I may have to get it towed in and professionally diagnosed....hope I did not damage the ECU or something......damn.

4th Gear

Status

did you take the jumper out again? remember not to leave it in place.

Reverse Gear

Status

I did remove the jumper. When I re-hooked up the battery later fortunately it reset itself. Being short on time I decided to have it towed in. I will post back when I find out the prognosis. I am hoping it won't be major expensive internal surgery othewise I will have to take my 18 year old Quattro 90 off life support system and lead her out to greener pastures ;-) That would be a sad day...She's been great.

Reverse Gear

Status

Well as it turns out my mechanic has told me that it has thrown a rod...oddly enough it did not make any noise when it was turning over with the starter. At any rate I appreciate all the help here. The car is now for sale on ebay for $222 with 2 days left if anybody is interested. The car is located in Santa Barbara, California.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...wItem&rd=1,1&item=8053833918&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE% 3AIT

4th Gear

Status

Sorry to hear that!

I suppose our guesses on what was wrong were pretty far off the mark then...