4 stud to 5 stud

robonmac

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a simple yet inexpensive way to switch the audi 4 stud pattern to the later 5 stud pattern like that off the A4.
I'm presuming that all of the hubs need to be changed and the like,but how far do you have to go?

This depends which car you have. There are a number of different 5 stud hubs, but the cheapest method is to buy s/h wheel bearing housings/struts with the hubs in as standard.
Type 89 coupes use an offset (et) of 37, but 80/90 use 45mm. B4 cars are all 37mm.
Due to the above, it is not straightforward to pick the correct donor. S2 front and rear probably right for a 20v or v6 quattro. but for 2wd cars, you may need rears from a 100/earlyA6.
It is necessary to use s2 rear hubs on the front for some cars, (maybe the 45mm 80/90 - not sure?)
The 10v I think uses smaller diameter wheel bearings than the 20v/v6/s2.
I changed front wheel bearings on my '98 passat, the inner race did not seperate like it does with the older cars, and I'm fairly sure there were 2 different diameters for the inner races. If you were to use a4/passat hubs, you would need to fit a4/passat bearings - if the outside is compatible with the early wheel bearing housing.
Sorry I've answered your question with more questions, but it is a confusing issue! You could try searching some of the american audi forums, their choice of wheels is not good in 4x 108, they also did not get the s2.

Not sure there are 2 diameters in the passat bearing now, mine is a 90hp tdi, which is 75 mm o/dia, the 110tdi and 6 cyl models use the 82mm bearing, the bearing and hub (82mm) are the same parts as on a 200 turbo. The earlier cars also use either 75 or 82mm bearings. But the bearing housings for old and newer cars will be very different.

Uh! i'm baffled.My particular model is a 1993 2.0 16v Coupe, does that help?