1990 audi 90 quattro 20 valve

adam21011987

Reaction score
hi im new to this board, i have just seen a black 90 quattro 20 valve i have been lookin for one for ages. it has covered 160,000 miles and is in good nick body wise and the engine sounds sweet enough. the guy is asking 550 quid, which i think is quite resonable only one snag i know squat about the 20 v lump and was wonderin if ne one could give me some advise as to what to look for in general with the car
cheers

My mate runs one of these

Classic items to check for is
Rocker Cover Gasket
Listen for tapping from the distributor (the cog that runs of the cam wears at that mileage and can break very easyly)
Power steering Pump for leeks
Back brakes are ****** for sticking if the car has sat for a while
When driving the car the road handling should be smooth ,if you feel juddering or vibration (poly bushes)
Have a good look at the wings just on the arches and the trim on the bottom of the doors water collects there if the trims lift and cause rusting
Have a good look at all the electrics as well inside the car

To Be Honest £550 for a car like that is ******* all really, so looks like you are getting a bargain

Buy it. It's the second best car Audi ever built. Only the saloon is better, as it's lighter and stiffer. Shame they didn't build a 2 door saloon!
Problems:
Yes the original plastic distributor drive gear does shatter. The VAG replacement distributor has a steel gear (why they fitted plastic I don't know). You can't buy a spare gear from VAG, and a new distributor cost a fortune. Check out US 20v web sites, someone was making new steel gears to order.
VAG exhausts cost a fortune, and weigh a tonne.
Like most Audis of that era, the standard brakes aren't good enough. Be prepared to fit ATE power discs or Berembo equivalents (GSF and Europarts) with EBC green stuff or red stuff.
Cracked sumps can't be welded (Mag alloy). New ones cost a fortune.
As it's 1990, it has probably got the welded tubular exhaust manifold. Check it for cracks. Funnily enough, my cast manifold had a crack. I replaced it with a welded one.
Buy it anyway. The sound of the 20v 5 at 7500 rpm is amazing.

drove it today and it didnt feel as quick as the old 10 valve that my boss used to own im guessing that it should be quicker? and it had a real bad juddering when braking other than those two things it was perfect. any ideas as to why it feels slow (let me put it into comparison i drove my mums 2.0 toyota carina straight afterwards and it felt like it would have slaughtered on the audi) on the other hand the guy who owns it was a a fat git so he could have been slowing it down lol !!!

Check the oil pressure should be 5 bar when cold and 3 when hot

Cant understand you saying it was slow because they are not!!

Boy must have been big!!

Juddering could be warped disc's but you can pick up disc's and pads pretty cheaply

Cheers

Were you giving it enough welly? Up to 4k, the carina probably would see it off, they pull hardest above 4500.
The quattro system adds drag too, obviously grip is better.
I would make sure it does run properly, parts are expensive for these cars.
Have a look at the buying guide on 20v.org.

yes i think your right, i only took it steady and only upto 90 on the dual carrigeway so i spose it wouldnt have been in its peak range lol good point about the 4wd tho im just trying to scrape 500 quid together now. im finally gonna have my first decent car lol!!!