Engine Swaps

kam325i

Reaction score
Hello folks....

I have a friend from the E30zone fourm who is after some information regarding an engine conversion for his A reg Audi 80, he wants to put the engine from a TT into the 80, Can you guys point me in the right direction towards some info about engine swaps for the 80, if any exsist......

Thanks......

what engine is in the Audi 80?
what engine from the TT are you looking to transplant?

If you are just swapping the block and head, like for like, ie a 1.8T for a 1.8T, then it's just a matter of swapping, however if you are changing size or single cam for double cam, or non-turbo out and turbo in, then you also have to worry about all the ancillary items.

Is the injection and ignition system compatible? Is the turbo going to work? How about compression ratio's? Will my fuel pump supply enough pressure for the new application? How about the ecu?

My advice would be to take a complete donor car and simply move the entire engine, gearbox, fuel and ignition system over....

Of course your friend is probably going for a more powerful engine. Ask him if he reckons his current braking settup is going to handle the extra power...

A lot to consider!

If memory serves correctly the MK2 Audi 80 was an in - line engine (front to back, No1 nearest the front panel/radiator), whereas the TT engine is a transverse engine i.e right to left, so the biggest problem would be changing all the mounts around, then theres mating it to the gearbox so that it retains the front wheel drive/quattro (if its got it) not saying it can't be done, but it will be a mamoth project.. the car at present doesn't have a turbo and most likely doesn't have fuel injection unless its an 80sport or the last of the 80CDs (early ones were all carbs)

A lot to consider really...

[ QUOTE ]
Hello folks....

I have a friend from the E30zone fourm who is after some information regarding an engine conversion for his A reg Audi 80, he wants to put the engine from a TT into the 80, Can you guys point me in the right direction towards some info about engine swaps for the 80, if any exsist......

Thanks......

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi kam craig here, thank's for starting off this thread mate, mucho respecto, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
starting the conversion tomorow,

the engine we are putting in to the A reg 80 has been taken from a 2004 225bhp TT, and the one were taking out is just a 1.8 with twin 45's, i was just basicly after some information whether anyone had tryed such a MASSIVE conversion? we have everything we needed from the TT e.g engine, gearbox(which is not needed) loom, ecu, clock's, key's ignition barrel, and i'm dreding it,
we have an auto sparky on standby, so i'll take a look thru the link that has been posted up and find out all about engine mount's etc etc,
i'll take some photo's when we start and i'll put them up on here, just for showing off factor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
thank's so far people