Volks AutosChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

1975 Audi 100 Timing marks

I have a 1975 Audi 100 4cyl and need to replace the Distributor.

I have been unable to find the timing marks. Are they on the front pulley of the engine like American cars? I can turn the engine through the hole in the front and would expect to see the marks there. Do you look for the timing marker from the top of the engine. The Audi repair manual seems to indicate it is at the bottom of the engine and see the timing marks friom underneath.

Also to remove the Distributor I would need to bend a 13 mm wrench in order to loosen the bolt holding the distributor in place.

Thank You,

Perry

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by plbahr View Post
    I have a 1975 Audi 100 4cyl and need to replace the Distributor.

I have been unable to find the timing marks. Are they on the front pulley of the engine like American cars? I can turn the engine through the hole in the front and would expect to see the marks there. Do you look for the timing marker from the top of the engine. The Audi repair manual seems to indicate it is at the bottom of the engine and see the timing marks friom underneath.

Also to remove the Distributor I would need to bend a 13 mm wrench in order to loosen the bolt holding the distributor in place.

Thank You,

Perry

Hi Perry,
    The trimming marks are on the top of the engine, if you have the Manuel on page 85 section 6 it tells you how its done don't know if that was much help.

Best of luck to you.
    Reg

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by weebeasTTie View Post
    Hi Perry,
    The trimming marks are on the top of the engine, if you have the Manuel on page 85 section 6 it tells you how its done don't know if that was much help.

Best of luck to you.
    Reg
    Hi:

Thank you for replying. Actually I figured it out over the weekend and it is running good. I am used to The older american cars with the timing on the flywheel damper at the front of the engine and in this case the pulley is pretty well hidden with radiator hoses etc at the front of the engine.

For a car thet is almost 40 years old it is in beautiful shape. Not sure I like to work on it, but it came with my wife so I guess I have to.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by plbahr View Post
    Hi:

Thank you for replying. Actually I figured it out over the weekend and it is running good. I am used to The older american cars with the timing on the flywheel damper at the front of the engine and in this case the pulley is pretty well hidden with radiator hoses etc at the front of the engine.

For a car thet is almost 40 years old it is in beautiful shape. Not sure I like to work on it, but it came with my wife so I guess I have to.

That's good news you have it sorted out, so where are you? i have a 72 100 s coupe in mid restoration have forgot how most of it go's back together as it has been two years but i think i will get there.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by weebeasTTie View Post
    That's good news you have it sorted out, so where are you? i have a 72 100 s coupe in mid restoration have forgot how most of it go's back together as it has been two years but i think i will get there.
    Fortunately this one is already in good if not excelent condition. It has spent most of its life in a garage and has 65,000 original miles. Everything is original except for the shift linkage. I had to make a new arm between the shifter and the transmission. Fortunately the original was in good enough shape to make a copy and I have several old repair manuals for it. I am not fond of working on it. I am a retired farmer and would prefer to work on a diesel tractor if I had to work on anything.