Buying a coupe

andy64

Reaction score
Right hi all,
basicaly i went to look at a 94 2.0 16v coupe at the weekend, just over
80000miles, anyway it was a really nice car and i was close to buying it but i
just had a few niggling doubts that stopped me, so hopefully you guys can send
me one way or another.

first off, the right rear shock absorber made a lot of noise initially squeeking
whenever the car was moved but after a few mins this stopped and it didn't make
a sound again...any ideas? should i be worried?
second both doors seemed to droop very slightly, just enough that they banged a
bit when shutting as the latch was a bit low when hitting the pin in the door
frame, there was no sign of any accident damage or repairs and i think the car
was otherwise very sturdy so i think the hinges were possibly a bit
loose...easyily fixed or a more serious problem?
thirdly the clutch had quite a late bite point, it wasn't slipping so it's not
neccisarily on it's last legs but could anyone give me an idea of the cost of a
replacement just in case

finaly the dealer indicated there might be a problem with the relay for the rear
wiper since it was difficult to switch off...any ideas?

any help you can give would be greatly appreciated and hopefully i can go back
for it this weekend

Andy

Hi , I have the same model , with regards to the doors :- the Coupe has larger heavy doors than the saloon but use the same hinges ,the extra weight tends to wear the hinges quicker therefore its just a case of popping down your friendly breakers and getting a pair of saloon hinges from anything as far back as a 1988 model ( any engine size ,mine came off a 1989 1.8cc saloon ) ., you might get away with just fitting the door part of the hinge and leave the post part alone as I did . I painted mine white to match the rest of the car then heavily greased them to discuise any paint colour variation to the rest of the car . They work a treat and feel as new to close with that ' quality clunk 'sound., hope this helps , cheers.

Hi Andy, are you sure its the shocker squeaking? my guess is the brake is binding on slightly. Be interested to hear what the problem is for the rear wiper, coz mine does the same! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

cheers Aggy, thats the sort of answer i was hoping for with regards the doors.

Dave, no i'm not certain it was the shock but i'll look into it more closely if it happens again. as for the rear wiper i had a look on gsf car parts website and the wiper relay didn't seem to expensive so if it looks easy enough to change i might just buy one and try it

anyway i'm picking the car up this afternoon so i'll let you know

Andy

Dave more than likley relay switch with the wipers...tell tail sign is when the intermitent wiper goes tree time inside of two or just gives up working

Regarding the doors, there is quite a lot of adjustment available at the hinges. replacement hinges should not be necessary.
I don't mean to patronise, but the wipers are turned off same way they turned on - push the stalk forward. I only say this coz it caught me out when I did not know!

scotty, it's definately a physical problem with the wipers, it is difficult to turn on as well but even more so to turn off once you get it going

possibly the cables are breaking down
where the hatch hinges. making it hard to get going. Then the increase in Amps welds the relay contacts together???
Hows that for a wild stab in the dark!