dashboard lights

A

A4Steve

A new (lady) owner of Audi 80 late edition - K reg, i bought the car in daylight and since then found out that the dash light does not work, have pulled all fuses out and couldn't find any that looked suspicious, can anyone help with any more suggestions?? <font color="purple"> </font>

It may be the switch on the dashboard. When you turn on your lights, the dashboard lights come on, if this contact inside the switch has failed, then your exterior lighths will still work but not the interior.

Also the fuse may still have failed even if it looks intact. Have a look at the owners handbook or on the back of the fuse box panel there is a diagram of the fuse board. Find the fuse that works the dashlights, it will probably be listed or have a relevant picture. Try changing this fuse, make sure it is the same rating. Theyre only coppers.

Good Luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

It could of course be the bulb(s) in the dash itself. My last Audi i changed the dash bulbs about 4 times in 2 years. Most people cannot be bothered. A lttle more involving than changing a fuse unfortunately and requires removal of the dash binnacle to change the little blighters.
Check also that the rear lights work as on some cars the fuse that does the dash also does rear lights!!

Toby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Got a similar problem on my RS2. The clock and temperature guage aren't illuminated when you turn the lights on though the rest of the gauges and the DIS are.

On the Audi 80's there is a little button were the speedo and clock is.
one button is for the clock, one button for trip mileage reset, the other is the dimmer for dash lights.
It looks like the trip reset button were you can reset your trip mileage.
Turn this left and right in the night and see if it makes any diffrence. It is used to dim the dash lights.
If not the problem is your dash bulbs need replacing.
Refer to my post on dash clock removal.

I wondered whether you had any success in resolving your dashboard lights problem? I have a similar problem on my Audi 80 Avant 1.9 TDI, 1995 estate model. The other day the dashboard lights went out, along with the heater panel. All the other lights work though - courtesy light, vanity light, glove box light, push buttons for the rear de-mister, hazard light and fog light, head lights, licence plate light. I checked the fuse box and all fuses were oaky, none of them had blown. I checked the bulbs in the heater panel and two of them had burnt out, which I immediately replaced. I haven't managed to check the bulbs behind the dashboard yet as I'm having difficulty in getting it out. However, I'm really puzzled by why the interior lights work fine and the dashboard and heater panel have gone completely. Surely if it was only due to blown bulbs then replacing the bulbs in the heater panel would have fixed those ones, I assume the circuit will still allow bulbs capable of working to illuminate, and that its not wired in series? I wonder whether one of the previous posts by r88per has identified the problem. In that the switch for the illumination on the light stalk has gone? Can anyone else provide any comments to help me, I am driving at night time with a torch in order to see my speedo!

Many thanks,

Andy

Fixed the dashboard problem. Removing the storage shelf under the stearing wheel exposes the back of the dashboard. The variable resistor which you turn to control the brightness is held in by two brass nuts. Unscrewing these enables you to pull the dimmer switch out. AFter pulling it out and continuity testing it I found it to be faulty. At the moment I'm bridging the pins on the dashboard with some wire but will buy a new variable resistor in time. Hope this is of help to someone else! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Please for the love of God can somebody tell me how to change the bulbs in the oil, temp gauges in the centre consol! I cant even get the unit out!!!! when i removed the heater controls to try n do it i somehow 2 blow all the bulbs in that!!! Why is there no Haynes manual!

:scared2:

cheers!

zaf, I will let you know in the morning if you are a genius or not! ....I have had my very much loved 80esport for 18months and this dash light has never worked properly.....dont suppose you got any idea why my petrol guage and temp guage are dodgy as well do you??:sos:

Right, I,m going to try to be of some help here. I owned an 80 2.0 Avant about 5years ago and had to fix the dash lighting a couple of times (God I still miss that car:bye: ).

To remove the dash binnacle, first drop the steering wheel as low as it will go. Remove the top half of the steering column cover by undoing the screws from underneath and unclipping it.

This exposes two bolts/screws at the bottom of the dash binnacle. Undo these and I think iirc there are two screws along the top of the binnacle. Again undo these. The whole binnacle will now slide toward you. Reach in behind it and disconnect the two plugs and you can now work the binnacle sideways, clear of the steering wheel.

On the back of the binnacle is the PCB for the clocks and dotted round this you will see the orange(iirc) lampholders for the dash lighting. I think there is about 10 of them in total.To remove these, turn them about a 1/4 turn anti-clockwise and they will pull out.

Halfrauds (other good motor factors are available) will be able to supply replacement lamps and the refitting is the reverse of dismantelling.

I hope this of help too you all. I had to do this operation a couple of times and it usually took about 1/2 hour to do. The only difficult bit is squeezing the dash out between the steering wheel and dash but its mor fiddly than difficult.

Karl:icon_thumright: .

If the dash light are not working check rear number plate light and glove box light use the same fuse,if they are working but not the dash check you dimmer control as it dims dash and heater lights aswell..

On mine it always seemed to be the lamp that lit the fuel and temp gauges that went so I knew it was'nt the dimmer or a blown fuse.

If nothing is lighting up then check the fuse and dimmer switch as suggested above first.

Have a look at this....Clicky
It will tell you everything you need to know :icon_thumright:
Si.