Buying an Audi 80

HAHA

Reaction score
Hello people, im new on here - i hope you could help me with a query.

My mate is thinking of buying an 80 - we've test driven a few and theyre just what he's after, however, 2 of them have had a whining noise that is dependant on speed, but not revs and occurs when in gear and when in neutral

What could be causing this? One of the sellers has had the driveshafts and front wheel bearings replaced on his, but this hasnt fixed it!

Any help is much appreciated,

Steve

i have a audi 80 that has the same problem and mine is the rear wheel bearing. Can you tell if its coming from the front or back? his is a common problem with them so ive been told

sorry, didnt mention that bit - its definately coming from the front, and from what i can gather, just behind the bulkhead

possible suggestions ive heard so far are something in the diff, final drive, clutch bearing of some kind ? all of which sound expensive and worth walking away from, on the other hand, could it be the speedo cable ?

You anwsered your own question really,If you are unsure of the fault and to be honest unless you drive the car day in day out you cant really establish what the fault will be especially when it is a whining noise like that ,I would walk away and keep on looking
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

yes i would walk away there are cars out there
that drive well with no noises keep looking

come on guys wheres your sense of adventure !!

it would be a shame to walk away from this one, its in very good nick and its a good price! pros and cons...