EM TuningVolks Autos

idle not stabilized

hello there, i have an audi80 2.0E automatic trans. it is running good, however, coming from a fast drive and when i am about to go slow, the engine tends to cut off. my mechanic told me about idle relay manifold (something) located on the driver's seat dashboard. he also mentioned about relay plug glow heat. any advise?

ISV is well cleaned.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status

Re: idle not stabilized

Is this a diesel engine? (I see you mention a glow plug)

no, its petrol. 4 cylinder. when the engine starts, it is ok, including its idle. but when you run it and then coming from fast going slow, the engine cuts off specially when your about to put acceleration

4th Gear

Status

have a listen to the engine when it is idling and see if you can hear any vacuum leaks on the inlet side. Check that all the vacuum lines are in place and in good condition.

yeah, actually that was my original suspect i.e. leak. i could hardly hear a wizzling sound.

i will try to see it myself. i will post what happens. thanks alot.

hi there, i inspected all possible leaks but nothing seems to be aparent. i made some changes in the hose that has crack on it but again the problem of not stabilized idle persists. i think my mechanic is right

my mechanic insists that the relay under the driver's seat in missing i.e. part no. #10 with 5 pins. I guess it is about plug glow heat (or something). i dont know the part number the reason i can't get it here locally. .
    could someone give me the part number? or where i can find this?
    please!!!
    many thanks.

4th Gear

Status

have you got the engine code handy?

28v6

Right then....lets be clear about something..

1/ It's a petrol engine, therfore it doesn't have a "Glow plug relay"

2/ It does however have an Idle Stabilisation Valve, as its the old 2ltr version of the 1.8 Digifant engine. This will probably be needing cleaned and lubed if its not to late, its located on the air intake side of the engine and has a black cylinder type object with a bullet connector on the end of it. This needs removed cleaned and worked using carb cleaner first to decoke the 3in1 oil to lube, then refit. Don't worry at first if the idle goes way high it will reprogramme itself and settle down...

3/ if the above fails then to the relay in the fuse box it is... NOT the GLOW PLUG RELAY remember its not a DIESEL... The relay itself should be located in the fuse box and marked as Idle Relay on the lid or the Haynes manual will direct you, this tends to suffer from dry joints and can be reactivated by gently re-melting the solder making sure the terminal stays in the connection. Failing this it may have melted due to the valve siezing in which case you will need both parts!!!! REMEMBER: the last two parts come paired i.e should have matching serial nos NO DEVIATION / DIFFERENT LETTERS other wise it won't work properly i.e idle will still be erratic!!

Try that and Let 5E know how you get on..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****_you.gif[/img]