Temperamental immobolizer 2.6E cab

joemaxi531

Reaction score
Cab 2.6e, 94 70,000 miles
Despite my friendly VAG technician changing the ignition barrel, immobolizer,checking the ECU itself (fortunately not the prob) resetting the key /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif and obtaining the original Audi wiring setup to check the wiring link, he still can't cure the problem. The symptoms are, the car starts but dies almost immediately, different temperatures have no effect. Then suddenly the car is fine for a couple of hours.......strange....Apparently the signal from the immobolizer is the problem, but no idea why .. Anyone had this experience? Audi main dealers locally can't help.. can you save my sanity and my wallet,,thanks.

surely if the problem was the immobiliser it wouldn`t start at all.
have they looked into any fuelling problems, or does the immobiliser cut the fuel aswell ?

Hi there.
I have a 97 A4 with the same problem. So far I've had the everything bar the ignition barrel changed (including ECU and got new keys too!). Still does it intermittently. Car dies after 2 secs and immobiliser lamp flashes....after which ECU lamp flashes and I have to get it to a stealer to reset.

It actually starts if I take key out, get out lock the car, unlock it and try again... and it happens more in cold wet days.

Immobiliser cuts the fuel too so I wouldn't think you have fuelling problems.

To be honest I'm not doing anything for it at the moment (enough paid to stealer) cause I have a B7 A4 on the way.

Pleased to hear I am not alone but sorry you have to put up with the frustration too. The diagnostic says its the signal to the ECU from the immobolizer, My tame techi has finally today found someone at Audi Tech who is talking numbers but at 2000hours today still not fixed. I was hoping to swop it for an S4 avant soon, once its up and running, but still a great car. Your right the fuel is no problem the car runs fine once its going....Cheers