Radiator Crisis

faene42

Reaction score
Website
www.divinitypiercing.com
I have anb Audi 90 Quattro, and have a busted-up radiator. Trouble is, I don't know which it is to either reorder it, or just take it out, if it's the A/C radiator. Anyone know which is which? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, anyone know if that plastic panel beneath the engine to hold stuff in or whatever, is important enough to be needed, or can I just take it off? Thanks!

Amanda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

Its just an undertray to keep sh1t off of the engine... Personally, i wouldn't get rid of it cos it would leave the engine open to corrosion. I would say that the smaller of the 2 radiators would be the A/C one...

Rich

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Note that removing the under tray may help engine cooling.

Does the A/C still work ?
Is coolant level in the expansion tank dropping ?

this willhelp you ID the radiator thats gone!

The air con rad is nearly always the one at the front of the vehicle, the water rad is located directly behind it. And also the water rad has soft rubber hoses going to it. wheres the ac rad has solid thin pipes.

I would second the fact that it is the second rad. I know that on both of my cars (although they are 5000's) this is the case. The easy way is to follow the line from you ac pump and see where it ends up. As for the light staying on thats proably not the rad. Audi used this little ingenoise (and prone to failer) sensor called a multi function coolent sensor. Check into that. Also hit the forum on audiworld. if all else fails go into the 5000 forum and theres a bunch of us that have half a clue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif