Water Temp on A6 V6 2.6?

skippy

Reaction score
Dear All,

Whilst motorway driving and even town driving. The water temp guage is showing about 90 degrees, this can sometimes shoot to over a 100. Is this normal? I was not that worried during the winter months, but slow moving traffic in the summer!

I don't know if this could have been effected when the alternator and starter motor was replaced. And I've nevr known the radiator fans to come on?

Advice please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

It is normal for the car temp to go up a bit when idling along in slow traffic. Just so long as it does move back down when the car starts to move again. The radiator fans run at different speeds so it is likely that the fan is on but at a slow speed.

You can check the actual coolant temp from your climate control. press the recirculate button and the up arrow button at the same time to enter the diagnostic function. Then press the temp up or down button until you see 51 displayed, then press the recirculate button again to get the value. To exit the diagnostics just press the auto button or both the recirc and up arrow buttons.

Value 51 is the engine coolant temperature. From this you should be able to get an acurate enough reading to judge if the temp is too high.

90C is normal, I would worry with anything over about 98C. Your fans should have cooled things off or at least have started to cool it down again by then.

Thanks for your advise. I will check in the morning. I lived in South Africa in the mid 70's.

I've checked the two sets of wires that go directly into the back of the fans and they seem okay. Or are you refering to the larger rubber housed connector at the bottom corner of the radiator? That's in place. Someone as suggested checking a switch by disconnecting and inserting a paper clip into the female connector?

Yes if you do that you by-pass the switch and give a power to fan all the time ,so the minute you stick your ignition on the fan will come on(a quick fix till you replace switch if that is the fault)

Thanks for that, but is the switch the one connection at the bottom corner of the rad?

Sorry
yes that is the switch for the fan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks for that. Should it twist or just pull off? As it didn't seem to want to budge when I tried.

Thanks

There should be a clip on the wiring plug that you just press inwards to release.

You will find there are two parts to the plug, an inner and an outer. Make sure the inner section sits proud (on the inside) of the outer section (pushed all the way into the outer plug housing).

Thanks for that. I unplugged a 3 pin plug attached to the bottom corner of the radiator. It seems okay. I was told to bend a paper clip into shape and place in the female side as a simple test to see if the switch works? But as the socket had 3 holes I was wondering if I'd found the right socket? Anyway I am off on my holiday, fingers crossed it will be okay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

yep, very early cars had a simple on/off switch with two connectors. later cars have variable speed fans, hence the three pin plug.

Try this web site for info on how to diagnose/fix your cooling problems:

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/cooling.html

The relevant info on the switch is near the bottom of the article, but the rest may well be worth a read.

Enjoy your holiday!