Bad smell in car, catalayic converter?

• Thread starter imported_jimmy154
  • Start date
I

imported_jimmy154

I feel intoxicated when driving (esspecially in the summer, with windows open), it's most noticeable when driving above 3,000 rpm. It smells and is intoxicating. I recently dismissed it as being from exhaust and thought it might be an oil leak leaking on hot engine and/or exhaust parts. When I'm stopped I can see how the intoxicating fumes get in my car, but when going above 140 km/h on highway how can the smell from the catalayic converter get in the car?

I'm missing one of two catalayic converters. Could the smell at high speeds be caused by missing cat. converter? It only really smells when going fast with windows open.

Yeah, some one else told me that an exhaust with no catalytic converts smells like rotten eggs. I got out of my car and smelled that rotten egg smell near my exhaust. So I don't think it's the exhaust. The smell does seem to come from the engine compartment when I opened the hood today.

I think it might be the coolant leak. The coolant leak is up to 1 liter every few days now, so I will have to look into it.

Only thing is, I think I've had the bad smell longer than the coolant leak. But it doesn't matter cause I really have to fix that leak now. I hear cars don't run that well without coolant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi,

I fixed the coolant leak. It was a hole in the bottom coolant pipe. It was right near the end. So I cut off about 2.5 cm and attached the hose back where it was.

I also wanted to fix my oil leak when I was down there. The leak was from the bottom pipe that goes into the oil radiator or cooler (don't know if this is the proper term); specifically the joint of the bottom oil pipe where it connects to the oil cooler. I removed the bottom and top bolts that hold the pipes in the oil cooler, but they don't come out. How can I fix this small oil leak out of the joint between the bottom oil pipe and the oil radiator? Any ideas? Maybe it's not worth it?

I think I will post a pic soon. Esspecially if it keeps leaking; I moved it a little and repostioned then tightened it again. I was going to draw it, but I won't right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Man - I'm getting kind of good at this fixing a car stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I used to always break even more things, when I would try fixed my car.

Also the bad smell coming into the cabin is the exhaust.

The oil leak seems to be coming from the point at which oil comes out of the oil cooler. The pic I took is of the top one, which I'm assuming is the one the oil goes into the cooler. The bottom one is the one that leaks, but it looks the same. On the round circle I have circled three holes that are there. They go in about 7 mm then stop. I assume some tool is inserted into they holes and the fitting is screwed off. What do you think?

One the the holes is hidden and the other you can only see a small piece of it.

How do I post a picture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Thank you I will use that picture hosting place often /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

Here is the link to the picture of the fitting I want to stop from leaking http://photobucket.com/albums/d115/jimmy154/?action=view&current=oilleak.jpg

I will also repeat that: The oil leak seems to be coming from the point at which oil comes out of the oil cooler. The pic I took is of the top one, which I'm assuming is the one the oil goes into the cooler. The bottom one is the one that leaks, but it looks the same. On the round circle I have circled three holes that are there. They go in about 7 mm then stop. I assume some tool is inserted into they holes and the fitting is screwed off. What do you think?

One the the holes is hidden and the other you can only see a small piece of it. I have circled one and a small piece of another hole, third one is hidden by the pipe.

Can you cheat by getting an oil leak filler stick/block sealer from an auto accesories shop and simply seal up the holes?

Re the exhaust fumes. When you open the front windows on a car the air passing the window causes a vacum in the cabin of the car. I know it sounds daft as you can feel air comeing in but its all to do with air pressure. Anyway the resulting vacum can suck fumes into the cabin through rust holes or poor seals in the boot area. I had exactly this problem with a rusty old Ford once. Its also worth checking the whole exhaust for holes/leaks as a hole in the down pipes could alow fumes in to the cabin through the bulk head. The same is true of pipes that follow the transmition tunnel. I would look into it as soon as you can as exhaust fumes will eventually cause you to pass out, not good when your driving.

Thank you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love_4.gif that silicon it holding so far, been there for about 2 weeks now

I would like to fix that exhaust eventually. Is there a webpage that would tell me how to take it off? Even a similar model would be good. I have a pdf for an audi 100 (I think) and it tells me how to do a lot of things with my audi 90, but it does not include many things one of them the exhaust system.