Squealing brakes

Andy_E_32

Reaction score
I have recently replaced the rear pads on my 1995 Audi 80 1.9 TDI. I replaced them about two days ago and this morning they began making some squealing noises, as I did about 70 - 80mph down the motorway. It sounded like the pads hadn't come away from the disc properly. When I tapped the brake pedal to bring the pads in contact with the disc the noise stops, but on releasing the pedal it comes back. The squealing is a bit intermittant and seems to occur at faster speed rather than slower speeds. It is not happening all the time but takes place frequently whilst driving.

On changing the old pads I ensured the new ones had a smear of copper grease on the back. I also checked the guide pins were properly greased. Has anyone else experienced this or can offer advice.

Many thanks,

Andy

Thanks Rev-head will try that. I've got girling brakes and had to screw the caliper back in anti-clockwise. Its an important point to note, I nearly ignored it! I'm on holiday in a couple of days so I'm not sure I'll time to get it sorted myself. I wish I'd taken your advice and lubricated the piston in the first place. Although hindsight is 20x20! Might have to take my chances at Kwikfit. Will let you know how I get on.

Sorry meant to say screw the piston back in! Not screw the caliper back in. I really should raed waht I write!