Help! Aftermarket stereo *really* loud (A3/Bose)

maxp

Reaction score
I have the factory upgraded bose speaker setup in my mk1 (8l) a3.

After replacing the original head unit with a mid-range Alpine model, the volume system has gone crazy.

Basically, although the head unit goes upto volume level 35, setting the volume to 2 is abit quiet, 3 is slightly loud and 4 is so loud you have to shout to talk to passengers. Im assuming the bose amp is responsible for this, but as to fixing it up abit clueless?

Sounds like you've connected the speaker output of the Alpine to the low level input to the Bose amp. I'm amazed you haven't blown the thing up. Disconnect it immediately and connect it correctly using the RCA outputs of the Alpine. You will need the PC9-404 adapter to take the RCA's down to the mini ISO on the Bose loom.
You will probably thn get very annoying popping when changing tracks or switching Source. If this is the case you then have to use the hopeless 401 adapter connected to the speaker outputs. This has a piece of junk on it that reduces the amplified Alpine output back down to pre-out RCA level so that the Bose amp can amp it back up again.

Wow, thanks for the response (and possibly saving my sound system!). Im thinking of retrofitting a Concert 2 stereo. My a3 is pre-canbus, so i know ill need an adapter, but am I ok to pick any revision of the Concert 2 as i *think* there might be a few revisions?

Excellent, thanks for that. Have been looking on ebay, do you happen to know if a model from a German or other country is any different to a Concert II from the UK market?