Clarification on Speaker Upgrade

Anito

Reaction score
I know this has done the rounds but i've seen conflicting information in seperate threads so better I ask.

I have a 2000 B5 A4, with Bose. Earlier this year I replaced the HU/ CD Changer and fitted a sub. So I have the HU connected to the original Bose speakers via the Bose amp.

So here is my question. Can I change the speakers ONLY leaving them connected to the Bose Amplifier? I realise I may not be getting the most from the speakers but at least it's a stepping stone and the result will be better than what I have. If this is possible I will, at some time in the future rip out the Bose amp and cables and replace them with something better.

Cheers guys.

Yes you can, aftermarket speakers will be 4 ohm so twice the impedance of the Bose units. This will mean less efficient power delivery from the Bose amp so you'll have to drive it harder. You'd be better off driving the new units direct from the HU speaker outs.

That's a good suggestion Andy.... however it brings up another question.

I have 6 speakers. 2 In the front doors, 2 in the rear doors & 2 on the shelf. The HU only has 4 speaker connections..??