Poor sound quality – RNS-D

Louis Cronin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have recently purchased an A4 (B6) Cab and i have noticed the sound quality isnt that good. I dont have BOSE but it sounds like far too much treble and not enough base. Even when i add more it sounds even worse.

I had the same system in my old MK4 Golf but it was called an MFD. That sounded far better

The only thing i can think of is that the volume for the phone (which i dont have) makes a difference to the sound. Could it be that the system thinks the phone is connected?

Thanks

Right, last night i had a play and sent most of the sound to the back 2 speakers, sounds alot better, can turn it up alot louder now without any distortion.

But im still confused.com why the 7 speakers in the front sound like a piece of ****?

Are you saying there's a handsfree kit still connected to the HU?
This shouldn't make any difference to the sound but they do tap into the front speakers to feed the sound into the HiFi. Depending on how this was done it could be the cause.
Best bet is to pull the HU and see whether they bodged something and while you are there disconnect the centre dash speaker as this is tuned for voice only and adds a really harsh "baby crying" type middle to any music you play. Just snip one of the skinny wires coming from the front speaker loom. The centre speaker runs as a single channel off both left & right channels so the wires are easy to spot, one will be connected to the left and one to the right set of fatter front speaker wires.
If you want to see how horrible the dash speaker is then just cover it up with a heavy atlas and experience the difference.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. There isnt a hands free kit connected now, there are signs that there have been.

The sound is exactly as you describe, the middle speaker does sound like a cheap Tesco blue strip CD stereo system that costs a fiver!

Shall i just turn that speaker off? (cut it)

Do you really need an answer to that question?
You need to check what they've done to connect the handsfree kit. It's possible they butchered the loom and have reconnected it incorrectly with phases all wrong so you'd be getting bass cancellation, just pull the HU and post a pic on here.