Help Wiring Rear Speaker & SUB

haider

Reaction score
HELP Wiring Rear Speakers
Hey I'm completely new to this stuff.
I've got a 57 plate 1.9 TDI 5DR A3 as my first car.

I've noticed it doesn't have rear speakers It has the Chorus Headunit. Yeah I figured it was the basic cheap model which sucks
Now I wanted to connect some rear midrange and tweeters on the back doors. Firstly I wanted to know if there is wiring there ( did audi put it in?)
Secondly how would I do it?

Could I add rear bose sub and speakers cheap from ebay OR could I buy a whole bose set and replace all speakers?

I want to also add a iPod Kit for it but not sure what is good and compatible since I don't want to pay Audi £££ for a 30min job.

Help

Cheers Haider.

No there is no wiring as the rears run off the amp inside the sub, and I'm guessing you don't have a sub. Yes, retrofitting the Bose setup would actually make sense as there are plenty on ebay, but you need to ensure you get the wiring loom as the whole car needs to be rewired. An easier job would be putting in the non Bose sub as far less wiring needed. Or getting one of my stealth subs which uses a 4channel Alpine amp which would run the rears.
For IPOD all you need is an xcarlink or Dension ICELink, about £50-£70.

I don't think I will need a sub I just wanted to fit rear speakers and tweeters since they are empty =\ they have to be connected via amp?

You definately need a sub, that's why they fit one to every A3 as standard, rears actually add nothing to the sound, just rearfill or for the benefit of rear passengers.
The HU has no speaker output for the rears (just the fronts) so you have to amp the rears.

Hey Haider

Without hijacking your post, just to let you know that I've just upgraded all my Concert HU and have a 2 month old Xcarlink + bluetooth kit for sale if interested.
Also, I cant emphasize enough how the addition of a sub improves the music.

Rich

How much?

Hey Haider

Without hijacking your post, just to let you know that I've just upgraded all my Concert HU and have a 2 month old Xcarlink + bluetooth kit for sale if interested.
Also, I cant emphasize enough how the addition of a sub improves the music.

Rich

No there is no wiring as the rears run off the amp inside the sub, and I'm guessing you don't have a sub. Yes, retrofitting the Bose setup would actually make sense as there are plenty on ebay, but you need to ensure you get the wiring loom as the whole car needs to be rewired. An easier job would be putting in the non Bose sub as far less wiring needed. Or getting one of my stealth subs which uses a 4channel Alpine amp which would run the rears.
For IPOD all you need is an xcarlink or Dension ICELink, about £50-£70.

I've decided to buy bose rear and sub, if I was to buy Stealth my mum would go nuts with the bass LOL so how do I wire these things!? Just a rough Idea.. PLEASE :)

First you need all the speakers, front & back, the 6 channel amp, the loom for the amp & speakers and the sub.
You don't need the tweeters from the fronts as they are the same Nokia shyte as non Bose.
Strip out the interior of the car, both left & right boot panels, rear and front door cards, glovebox and HU.
Run the new Bose loom from the HU all the way down the driverside to where the amp will be located.
You will need to connect the power for the amp at the fusebox.
Bolt the amp in place behind the driverside boot panel:
Boseamp.jpg

Then rewire all the speakers from the amp to the speakers ensuring left & right are correct, which should be obvious from the lengths of the loom.
Install the sub in the passenger side of the boot and connect to the Bose amp.
BoseSub.jpg

Test everything and then refit all the panels.
You'll then notice a slight improvement in quality over what you had before.
Technically you should also ground the Bose pin on the HU to achieve the woolly bass & treble have no effect Bose signature sound, but I would leave this out as it sounds far better with bass & treble controls that actually work.

Would I need to code the head unit for bose?
Where could I possibly get the Looming from?
Would I need to connect rear tweeters?

AND YOU ARE A LEGEND ANDYMAC

No HU coding just turns on the "Bose" welcome, it is purely cosmetic and unnecessary
No idea on the loom, which is why I said make sure you get one with the kit. Just extracting it from a donor car is quite a task as the wiring is very well installed.
All Audi tweeters are the same, Bose don't actually make tweeters.

Last question then I'll STOP. LOL

Where would the tweeters be connected to? the amp or the HU?

How much?

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=6&cat=0&page=1

Hey Haider

Sorry for the late post as i've been offline for a while.
Not sure whether the above link works but you can place it in your URL to see the exact kit i'm reffering to which I purchased at the same price.

Andy may know where to get a cheaper unit otherwise you can send me a PM if its of any use to you at a discount.

Rich