Front Speaker - Amp or not to amp?

RICH2JOSH

Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
Hi Guys

Just got delivery of a set of Rainbow SLX 230's for a custom fit as the Alpine HU (4 x 50w) blew the OEM mid woofer by the lower door.

Wondering whether they will be fine running off the HU or should I get them amped as I have a spare Alpine 2 x 150w sitting in the boot currently connected to the rear's which is not priority.

Also been through the past threads and couldnt find anything on the mdf template which i will need for the fronts, would be grateful if anyone could shed further light on this please as I know its not an accurate with regards to an old post by Andy.

JUst going on the general concensus that focusing the quality on the fronts is the way to go as some guys totally disconnect the rears once the subs been installed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rich

PS - whats the difference between the SLX230's and the SLX230 deluxe?

Hi There

Its a 98 1.8t saloon.

Not opened the door cards yet cos i know the clips will have to be replaced but assuming it will have the same o'l c*ap nokia speakers like the rears.
JUst dont want to rip the rainbows with the amp.

Thanks

Hi Rich,

I run my Infinity's off the HU and have a Vibe 10" Sub Amp'd - this suits my music taste well and the HU provides enough to give clear sound.

Typical setup would be:

Front - HU

Sub & Rears - Run off 1 Amp

Depends on what sound level you are wanting to achieve too!

Hey Indie

I'm assuming your Infinity's are in the front, If so are they 5.25cm and what brackets/spacers did you use for the fit?

I've got a monobloc amp for the sub and currently running the rears of a seperate amp which I think is of no benefit. Was hoping to achieve a bit more quality over pure noise with the Rainbows at the front.
I'll try running them off the HU first as suggested and see how that pans out, if not I'll wire them up to the amp.

Just gotta get them fitted properly as I've read some previous posts saying they arent an exact fit, hence looking for the specs for the mdf brackets.
Ill post the various outcomes.

Rich