Comparison Help

cbass

Reaction score
Website
www.netdocuments.com
Hey guys, I will be replacing the Bose Concert HU in my 98 A4 1.8T. I have narrowed it down to a few different choices, but I don't know as much as I would like to know about stereo equipment and I need some help knowing the differences in these HU's. I am trying to figure out if spending the extra money is going to be worth it.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to an Alpine unit from different things I have heard, but if anybody has any input on Alpines, that would be great also!

In NO particular order:

Option #1 - Alpine CDA-9830

Option #2 - Alpine CDA-9831

Option #3 (Long shot b/c of price) - Alpine CDA-9833

Now, don't just tell me the one that is more expensive is better, I want to know what the benefits are to some of the features of the more expensive ones. That way I can weigh the options better.

TIA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks for the help. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the 9830 and 9831 is that you can change the color of the buttons on the 9831 and not on the 9830. I am still trying to debate if the extra money is worth it. I can get them for much cheaper than what that site says anyway.

About the 6 channel vs 3 channel crossover, exactly what does that mean. I know that crossover has something to do with making the right pitches of sound go to the right speakers.

And what about the 6 channel vs 4 channel digital time correction, what does that do?

Thanks, I know the car related stuff, but I'm just learning the ICE stuff. Any help is appreciated!

PS. thanks for the info Richy, I don't know that I will end up going with the 9833, but if I can get it for a good enough price in relation to the others, I might.

9830 & 9831 are exactly the same in spec, so no idea why one is more expensive.
The 9833 is 10w per channel more powerful and it has 6 channel Xover instead of 3, and 6 channel digital time correction instead of 4, and 5 band parametric EQ.
So really just more things to fiddle with.

Never quite understood why Alpine offer 6 and 4 channel time correction, assuming you don't have 2 subs. You always set the furthest speaker to 0ms delay. Normally the sub. Then delay the 2 front and 2 rear speakers.

So for 4 channel, just calculate as normal, pretending there's a sub set at zero. For 6 channel, excactly the same except you do set the sub at 0.

FWIW, just installed a Boston C110 competitor into my A4 B6 Avant. Bass sounded muddled. Tried different X-over frequencies and slopes, but still not quite right. Reversed the phase and miles worse. Entered the time delays and Woo Hoo! Tight, integrated, punchy bass.