AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Help with 2003 8L S3 audio overhaul

I'm completely fed up with the Bose audio set up in my S3 so have decided that all the gear I have from my old car should be given a new home. I just have a couple of questions on what's needed to install it before I rip my car to bits only to find that I'm missing a wiring harness or something similar.

What aerial amplifier is required?
    Do I need a special wiring harness for my Alpine HU?
    Am I better off using 6x9s in a stealth shelf or just upgrading the rear speakers? (I already own 6x9s)
    What size speakers can squeeze in the front / back and what is their maximum depth?
    Are any special spacers to fit speakers in the front / back?

Sorry for 20 questions and thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by forty3; 23rd April 2010 at 17:42.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    You need this aerial amp
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/iso-...l-adaptor.html
    If you are bypassing the Bose system then no special wiring harness is needed. You will find that you have no ignition on 12v feed on your S3 as 2003 models are CANBUS controlled. So you either need to wire one in from the fusebox (Radio S-Kont) or just splice the yeloow and red together and connect both to the perm live on the Audi harness and turn the HU on/off manually.
    You are better installing a sub in the S3. You will not get any decent sounds without one. Rear shelf speakers are dire, and the fronts and the rears are all mounted to the flimsy doorcard so don't expect anything approaching bass from them.
    The fronts can house 5.25" components but they need to be slim with a depth of less than 55mm front to back (as they are rear mounted). The tweeters need to be 1".
    The rears are 6.5" coaxials with no depth restriction.
    You will need adapters for all speakers, straight 18mm 6.5" MDF spacer rings for the rears and A3 adapter rings for the fronts. If you plan on running the speakers directly from the HU then you will need to rewire all of them as the speakers currently all run off the Bose amp in the boot. If you are installing an amp then you could pick up the feeds to the speakers from the connector to the Bose amp.
    But honestly before you do anything you need to source a sub as if all you do is replace the HU and speakers the system will sound worse than what you have at the moment.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the info!

I have an alpine mono block amp that I used to run a 12" Kicker L7 sub but am thinking of using this to power one of your stealth sub setups due to needing the boot space. I also have another 4 channel alpine amp I'm going to use to power all the speakers. The speakers I have are alpine 6x9s and a pair of components but will have to measure them when I get round to where it's all being stored.

Am I better off with a stelth shelf and 6x9s or just fitting some decent 6.5 coaxials and will the 6.5" sub deliver enough considering all the other speakers will be amped?