Fascia Adaptors for A3

finster

Reaction score
Website
rx3715.blogspot.com
Hi all,

Has anybody got any experience of using the fascia adaptors for fitting an aftermarket HU ???

I know autoleads do one but seem to remember reading on the old AS.net site that it wasn't brilliant.

IIRC there are other ones around that 'wrap' around the Head Unit, but I can't seem to find any info on them....

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi. I've got one of the Autoleads one and it isn't particularly great. I looked for a wrap-around one also, but couldn't find any. I've seen pics of one installed in an A4, looked very nice.

If you do come find one, let us know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have the autoleads one in my S3 they aren't that bad like it is the wrap around type I got.

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:
If you do come find one, let us know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That'll teach me to hit the continue button while reading what I typed!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

Well I got an autoleads one but it doesn't seem to fit....

When I stick the plastic bits into the bits that are screwed onto the dashboard, there are big gaps (ie around 10mm) in between the plastic and the HU.

It was a bit of a squeeze so I was considering that maybe the front of the HU should go in front of the bits that are screwed on and flush against the bits that snap in. If I do this though, the HU will be sticking out by a fair amount from the dashboard.

Anybody got any ideas ????

Cheers, Andy.

PS Would be a lot easier to explain if I had a digital camera !!!!

Andy, I didn't fit mine myself, but the guy at the shop said they required "modification" to fit properly. I did notice that they used some blask resin/semi-glue kinda stuff at the side holding them in place.

I don't know what they looked like originally, so I don't know what mods they've done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mine required a bit of moddin' too. There are small tabs at the back I snapped off to get them flush & removed the 4 bits of rubber (I then covered the whole front in a sheet of 'brushed Aluminium' to hide them, but it looked cheap so I ripped it back off - it didn't bend round the edges like the 'carbon fibre look' stuff does if you heat it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif).

I phoned Audioleads technical dept. and speaking to someone there this is the adaptor they recommended for the S3 and it fitted without any sort of modification. I decided to phone them after the ones I received were obviously not the right type for the facia.

I've got the Toledo one as well. Started with the standard two part but it looked woeful. Can't remember which website I was on which came up with it - probably Autoleads.

The Seat Toledo fits the facelifted models and the 4 piece kits fit the pre facelifted models. I had the same scenario when fitting my Sat Nav. Got it done in the end and the Seat adaptor fits great. It is listed in the Autoleads catalogue for the A3 as well.

Cheers guys,

I have a humble A3, not an S3, but I take it that the factory fitted Head Units are the same, so the Seat adaptor should fit mine ?????

The other option I have heard about is to get the audi!! one. Apparently if you order a blanking plate for the stereo you also get the bits you need to install an after market unit. Give Martyn at VAGParts.com a shout and see what he has to say.

Inigo told me about this wherever he is, been rather quiet lately on both boards ...

Cheers,

Chris.

I also ordered the original Audi fascia adaptor (15 Euros), it should be arriving this week, so I'll post some pictures for you guys then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

These fascia adaptors are the best I've seen...
Anyway, my original Audi A3 fascia adaptor will be arriving tomorrow, so I'll post some pics of it then.

Go to www.autoleads.co.uk and look under fitting solutions and you can look up the model and year of your car and it will tell you what adaptor you need.

Just checked on autoleads,

For pre-facelift, it directs me to FP-05-02 (which I already have and doesn't fit properly)

For post-facelift, it says to use FP-18-00 (the Seat Toledo one mentioned earlier).

Seeing as my FP-05-02 doesn't fit mine properly, does anyone know if the FP-18-00 one will fit any better ???

Cheers.

My fascia adaptors arrived yesterday, but there is no point in posting pictures...I had an accident and my car is messed up

Slammer,

that pic you posted was my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bought mine from Audi, cant remember the exact cost (£10ish) This fits ferfectly as you can see.. and looks like its an OEM part of the dash its so good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here is an enlarged pic...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Neal.

i've got a '99 A3, and hence the centre panel is different to the one shown in your pic. shame, coz the fit looks spot-on!

i've resorted to fibre glassing the autoleads ones in place, and painting the whole panel.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
And still with my new HdU they don't look great, better but not great...

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambba,

You can make the top of the adaptors sit flush like the bottom buy doing a bit of filing and cutting until they fit. My adaptors looked like that originally before I hacked them around. Give that a go, it really changes the look.

Chris

Got the following info: -

Part No: 8L0 051 459 A B98

But as you can see from my above posts, I aint happy with mine - it just doesn't seem to fit....

Hope this helps though.

Andy.