Cd ERR1 - help

HerefordQuattro

Reaction score
Hi guys, just bought my A6 2.5tdi quattro sport and trying to sort out some stuff namely the Concert HU and 6 disk changer.

HU is fine (loving the standard look with matching red lights:zen:) but the 6 disc changer is a pain.

keeps coming up with the dreaded CD ERR1 fault and i've done a search of the forum for some hope and found a few threads about cleaning the lens, so took the changer out and stripped it down (security label was already cut).
Used a bent cotton bud and the wifes nail polish remover (honest) to give it a clean, when i put it back together to test the cd worked and i was so chuffed i even took a pic to do a 'how to'!
Then i unplugged it and bolted it back into the cage in the wheel well, and guess what it doesn't fecking work:faint:

so i took it back out and left it on the side and started trawling ebay for a secondhand replacement.

just been back out now and plugged it in and it only ****** works!!!

any ideas towards other intermittent faults (pressume lens is ok?)

the cd i'm playing is brand new so rules that out, could it be a problem with the magazine, don't think it is as i'm sure i watched it load ok while i was testing it.

clutching at straws now aaarrrrrrrgggggggg:crying:

ok so nobody knows how to fix it?

what's the best replacement? got to have interface with current symphony/chorus HU, is it worth getting an seconhand one from ebay or is it just going to go the same way? what about aftermarket?

Slightly off at a tangent, but what about doing away with the 6disc changer and fitting a concert cd head (PART No 8eo 035 186 J) there is a few on egay at the moment?
Pressume will keep the standard look of red lighting and be compatible with the dash display?
Fiiting will be plug and play just need to get some removal keys?

cheers

Jake

Depends if your A6 is CANBUS controlled or not. From about 2000/01 Audi changed the way HU's were powered, from a standard ignition on 12v feed to the stupid CANBUS data control. If your A6 is not CANBUS then using a Concert2 (which are all CANBUS) will result in the HU switching off after an hour. You'd need to buy a CANBUS emulator to resolve this which are around £60 for essentially nothing. Far better to spend your money on a MP3 changer or similar, which will be less money and massive benefit (60 CD's on 6 discs):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-MP3-6-CD...S_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP?hash=item3a593af065

Last edited:
nice find AndyMac, now watching that on egay, got email reminding me it was ending soon at 19:51 so thought i'd have a bid when i got home only to find it ****** ended at 16:05 wtf??

how does "no wiring required at all just plug and play" work when it looks like i have to remove the fecking headunit and run wires to the back of the car to get a 'connect2' adapter to fit?

i pressumed the adapter would just go inline on the original audi cd cable in the boot.

is there a way round this by cutting the old cd changer lead and 'adapting' the wires from this to fit the connects2 adapter?

1. i really dont want to be taking trim apart to feed cables (don't know where to start)
2. i haven't got any keys for headunit removal.
3. i really can't be ***** with this i wish i'd just bought a replacement oem unit

help please

The keys are £5 from Halfords, and no trim has to be removed you just tuck the cable under the trim. It's a 30 min job max. The reson they supply the whole cable is that many Audi's are not prewired with the changer cable if a changer wasn't spec'd at time of manufacture. The other option is to buy the female part of the blue connector, and mate it to the connector on the stock changer i.e. chop off the connector of the faulty changer strip it back and solder the wires onto each of the 10 corresponding wires. This will then give you an adpter which th connects2 cable can plug into. This would cost more and take a lot longer though. If you do decide to remove the HU, use the keys to release the clips but don't pull on them to pull the HU out as this can damage the clips. Either pull on the cassette flap or remove the glovebox and push from behind.

cheers Andy - i'm an evil mood so probably best left till the weekend lol:motz:

ps i haven't got the radio code so can i pull headunit out without disconnecting power?

cheers

Jake

Yes Jake, you can easily make the connection without disconnecting anything, other than the changer cable. If your A6 is CANBUS then you don't need the code anyway, it remembers it.

been to halfrauds and got some removal keys (£5.99) and wired it all up loose on the seat, everything seems to work well.
There is a black cable spare which i think is an earth? it all worked without this earth connected? is it there for supression or something?

still toying with the idea of soldering old changer cable to female plug, seems like a much easier option compared to trying to feed cable through the back of dash (had a go already) possibly removing glovebox (what about air-bag?) and trying to get it neatly all the way to the boot?

The glovebox is a 5 minute job and will make it very easy to route down to the footwell. You can disconnect the airbag switch, just do NOT put the keys in the ignition at anytime while the switch is disconnected. If you turn on the ignition while it is disconected it will throw an error and disarm all the airbags in the car and you will need VAGCOM to reset it. I tucked my cable underneath the door sill trim all the way to the boot without any problems, very easy. It is only a 2 minute job to prise up the door sill trim if you want it route it properly, it is only held on with metal spring clips.
The soldering option will leave an area of the low level signal cables exposed/not screned so you may get alternator whine.
The black flying lead is indeed an additional earth to suppress alternator whine.

right the car is in bits!

where can i get a decent earth behind the head unit? is the headunit itself earthed as there is a big fat screw on the back of it i could use?

fairly urgent as the wife wants to take the kids to seaside first thing in the morning:faint:

Andy to the rescue - top man

if you're at the seaside tomorrow I'll buy you an icecream:icon_thumright:

what a pavalova!!

difficult bits:

1 being scared of breaking the trim
2 even worse trying to get the trim back neatly
3 feeding the cables through to the boot (taped them to the end of a straightened out coathanger and poked them through)
4 getting the HU back in with the connects2 box and associated loom in the way
5 scratching the AC with the headunit
6 Sony mp3 changer has different mounting holes to the audi unit so doesn't fit the bracket yet (dremel tomorrow)
7 hunting round the garage to find a nut that fits the screw on the back of HU to earth the connects2 box

8 oh yeah and it looks like someone has been sick or something down the back of the rear seat eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww:asskicking:

but it's in and works - thanks for all your help AndyMac:icon_thumright:

Last edited: