Aftermarket Stereo Fitting

PEZ1

Reaction score
Evening all,

New memeber to the forum.. just purchsed an A3 1.9TDI 2000 MY 5dr :)

I'm attempting to change the factory fitted concert/tape stereo for a JVC unit. I have purchased the autolead kits pc-401 (which looking on the internet appears to be the correct one) and also have a pc-404 just as spare but it doesnt look as easy as I first imagined. ): The problem is I have a single wire in the kit which I have no idea what it is for? Also the red connecter block in the kit does not match the connecter block on the cars wiring harness, as the clips which hold it in position are in a differant place so will not allow me to push in ): As I am a little clueless when it comes to such as this I imagine it is the correct kit and just myself that has no idea!

Does anybody have any experiance replacing the factory stereo or may know of any fitting guides available?

Any help would be much appreciated

Hi there and welcome to the answer bank for all things Audi.
PC9-404 is the correct adapter, the 401 is for HU's that do not have any pre-outs, it uses a very crappy hi-lo converter and can be noisy as well as unnecesary.
I assume you have rear pre-outs (RCA's) on the JVC?
Connect these to the rear RCA's on the adapter and then plug the other end into the Audi loom. The spare wire is vital as it is the turn on trigger for the rear amp. Connect this to the power antenna lead on the JVC or the "remote on" wire (either will do). If you have the Bose system then you'll need both front and rear pre-outs connected, but you may experience popping when changing CD track in which case you'll have to use the crappy 401 adapter connected to the JVC's speaker outputs.