Upgrading B6 Avant Stock Sub and Amp

dalespitfire

Quattrophenia
Reaction score
Alright chaps,

As per title. I want to keep a stock look to the dash so dont really want to upgrade the HU yet (unless its for RNS-E), but I would like to know whether anyone has upgraded the stock amp and sub in the rear quarter panel with a direct fit replacement?

Can it even be done?

Cheers in advance

Yes with a bit of ingenuity it can easily be done. Presumably you have the non Bose system.
You need to remove the tupperware sub and amp
AvantOEMSubbench.jpg

Then use this space to install a 4channel amp.
AvantRHSSpace.jpg

AvantAmp4ch.jpg

You need 4channels as the rears need to run off it as well as the sub. You can tap into the stock connector in order to pick up the rear pre-out from the HU and the remote on and the rear speaker feeds:
B6rear-subpinout.jpg

You will need to run a 40amp+ fused power cable for the amp, easily routed through the bulkhead via the spare grommet on the ECU cover:
A4AvantPowerCable.jpg

Under the ECU drops down into the drivers footwell.
Then on the passenger side in the boot remove the boot trim and neatly cut the back off the cubbyhole. This will give you a large area to install the sub enclosure. No one makes one so you need to make your own, designed around the space limitations of the car and the internal volume needed for the proposed sub you want to use. I used a JL unit which is excellent when space is limited. 6.5" or 8" will both work well.
AvantLHSSpace.jpg

AvantSubbench.jpg

HPIM0615.jpg

Results are excellent, proper deep punchy bass without any loss of boot space and everything looking stock.

Outstanding guide. Thanks so much for taking the time to post that.

You DIY it yourself without any prior knowledge or are you in the trade?

No just a relentless hobby, started with my stealth subs for the A3.

Might be a dumn question but how do you feed the sub at the passenger side if its currently drivers side, dod you just run through the boot?

The amp is on the drivers side, that's where all the wiring is, the feed to the sub is just one cable which you route under the boot lip trim.

Cheers Andy.

Another quick question if I might be so cheeky!

If you could get hold of the Bose tupperware amp and sub is that any kind of an upgrade over stock as you see these knocking about cheaply from time to time from breakers or on ebay?

Alternatively is the stock amp powerful enough to drive a stealth fitted sub - I reckon even some as electronically dim as I could manage to fit one and work out where to tap into the wires!

It wouldn't be much of an improvement, the Bose sub is more powerful, but is still severely compromised by the tupperware enclosure and you'd still have to do some surgery on the wiring as it's completely different on the Bose unit. The stock amp isn't able to drive anything let alone a proper sub, it's a feeble 1 x 50w, so you do have to install a separate amp as you need at least 1 x 200wrms.

i'm also thinking of going this way instead of bose so i wonder what is the bigest sub i could fit in there i'm planing to power it with genesis 4 ch amp which also will power my front components can you please tell me what do you think? what comp should i go for? is it the wright amp? what sub? all coments will be appreciated

8" max, as the volume of the enclosure will dictate the size of sub. A JL Audio 8W3-4 in the correct sized enclosure will outperform a bigger sub squeezed into an enclosure that's too small. Genesis are excellent although I always feel they are a bit wasted driving a sub, but you only have space for one amp and you need the Genesis quality for the the fronts.

thanks for that how about the fronts any sugestions?

This is great info, thanks Andy. As my B7 Avant is leased I want to keep the alterations to a minimum so was thinking about an under seat sub, are these any good?

I know this is a old thread but I'm really interested in doing something similar, where cn I get the sub enclosure from or can u post building instructions, thanks.

Also what's the best upgrade for the front and rear speakers

Seeing how the avant has crap subwoofer compared to the saloon, I wonder if the saloon sub can be put into the avant