No sound from Car Stereo just a slight crackling/distortion

Brooksy

Reaction score
Website
www.rackmire.co.uk
I have an Audi A3 1.8T Q - 2000 W reg
Got told on here previously it's not Bose system but does have sub and amp in the back. Amplified rears only.

I'm not sure how the best to describe my problem as I can't seem to find a solution.
I've had my own aftermarket headunit in (JVC) and has been working fine for the past 2 months. Just recently last 2 days Now whenever i got to use the radio, cd player or sd card I get no sound at all. All I hear is a crackling or sound distortion every so often. I've removed the ehduint and make sure all wires are correct. and secure. Still nothign works. Although I still haven't had my rear amp/speakers wired up from first installing my new headunit.

I've checked he wires and I've also checked the fuses related to the radio etc including the headunit's fuse. They all look fine. I might try another headunit but I don't think that is the issue. I don't have any other electrical issues happing or going on in the car.

If it helps I do have pics i have taken of what wires come out from the loom and the headunit so could help me piece them together if not installed correctly. But It was working before perfectly for 2months so i don't see the issue.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

So you just have the front speakers running off the JVC? These are the only speakers directly conected to the HU, so if you don't have the PC9-404 adapter to link the rear/sub amp then these are all that's connected.
Unlikely both front speakers would pack up simultaneously and likewise the wiring, so must be a blown amp inside the JVC, although you could easily blow the fronts with a more powerful aftermarket HU as the JVC will be kicking out over twice the power of the stock Audi HU, but the tweeters would still work. Couldn't have sounded great with just the puny 4" front speakers working. You could also quite easily test the front speakers from the brown ISO speaker connector behind the HU with a multimeter, they should read 4 ohms or slightly higher. If they are open circuit then the speakers are dead, if they are zero ohms then they would have destroyed the JVC internal amp, so don't connect a different HU as the result will be the same.

I did have the RCA connector plug but I damaged them by accident so need to buy another set so I can connect them up. Also I don't see where the RCA connector plug plugs into? what colour or wired connector does this plug into. All I can see that is spare is a red plug that would match but it only has a purple wire going into it where as the rca obviously has 4. one for the left rear and right rear, the remote and something else.. so,... not sure...

Sorry for dodgy spelling before was in a rush. I can post up edited photos of the connectors if it helps at all which might solve the issue.

i'll have to see if I can find a multimeter to borrow or get one from somewhere over the next day or so.

The red part of the RCA adapter plugs into the multicoloured (blue/gree/yellow) connector (can be solid black as well depending on year). Definately not the big red plug with a single wire off it.
Fish about behind the HU it will be in there. It looks like this:
AudiMiniISOblock.jpg

Or this on 2000+ models:
AudiminiISOblack.jpg

aha... that could explain something... sweet.. I'll have a look into it tomorrow and reply back with my status with everything. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Ok, the rca connector came through today but there isn't a spare remote wire lead/socket to connect the remote wire attached to the rca plug. o im guessing i'll have to cut the remote from the headunit and split it. would this work?

Still no luck with the front speakers. getting crackling noise. I guess i have to look within the doors for any loose connections or get a multimeter.

Here's photo's I took. In the image below from the JVC unit which is the power antenna as they had to be swapped for memory. red or yellow?

Photo0110.jpg

The image below is of the console, is there anything that looks out of the ordinary? Which wires on the brown plug need to be tested with a multimeter to find out the fix for this crackling/static noise?

Photo0109.jpg

I'll check the speakers itself that they aren't loose (which Im afraid of due to having to take door cards off :( ) Are Audi A3 Door cards easy to take off and put back on or is it a 2 man job. I've done 106's and Saxo's before which are nothing but with Audi's being better built cars imo. Whats the average time? as I might try and do it mid week after work.

Last edited:
Neither, it'll be a blue flying lead usually. Don't use the yellow or red wires as these are the feed to the HU, the power antenna lead is a feed from the HU.
The 2 middle pairs on the brown plug are the front speakers. Plug the multimeter across the top and bottom of each pair in turn.
Test the impedance first as it that's fine then there's no point taking the door cards off.
Removing the door cards is pretty easy. First lower the windows, then remove the 2 visible screws at the top on either end of the door card, remove the single screw inside the grab handle, push down the plastic cuff inside the grab handle and remove the 2 screws behind it. Pull the whole door card straight up and out, but not too far as you need to unhinge the door release cable and unplug the wiring looms.