Concert HU: how to get DAB?

BADDave

Reaction score
I live in Dundee and have a 06 Audi A4 with Concert HU/Bose.
Been trying to get DAB reception using a Highway but reception is patchy with the supplied stick on windscreen aerial and not uch better with a magnetic mount aerial placed on the boot.

Is there a DAB module which can be added to the Concert?

Would a proper DAB headunit (JVC or Sony) be any better than Highway?

Will DAB transmitters improve with the upcoming analogue switch-off?

Any views appreciated!
Dave

There is no OEM solution for DAB in your car/year.

This seems to be the main issue with DAB, getting good reception.

DAB signals will not increase in strength with the TV switch over as they are radio signals just over the 200 mhz range, the digital radio carried on the digital TV signal is different as it is DVB-Audio on the same frequency as the current TV signals ~ 800-1200 mhz

As craig, said could'nt have put it clearer my self :respekt:

Thanks.
Would a DAB headunit with decent aerial give better reception than the Highway.
Or is DAB reception just plain rubbish, however good the hardware?

A properly installed DAB receiver is excellent, I have DAB in the A6 and S8 and it is excellent, but as I said it has to be done correctly. My experience of DAB head units and add on modules is that they are pretty poor.

I had a Blaupunkt DAB53 receiver in my van with an external antenna (glass mount) and it was pretty poor. I also tried the ICA DAB module fed into the RNS-E aux inputs, again external glass mount antenna and it was even worse.

A properly installed DAB receiver is excellent, I have DAB in the A6 and S8 and it is excellent, but as I said it has to be done correctly. My experience of DAB head units and add on modules is that they are pretty poor.
Thanks!
What receiver & aerial worked for you in the A6 & S8?

Yes the aerial is key. I have a blaupunkt DAB54 with stick on aerial, and reception was patchy. Swapped the aerial for a proper glass mount one and full reception is restored. Can't remember the last time the signal dropped out.

Just had another thought!
Could I upgrade my Concert HU for a RNS-E double din unit?
If so, could a DAB module be fitted at tto an RNS-E?
If this is possible, what would be the likely cost?
Thanks again!
David

There are no DAB modules for any Audi HU as DAB doesn't exist anywhere else but in the UK. So whatever Audi HU you have you have the same restrictions.