Concert II to Sony USB head unit

mjgoddo71

Reaction score
Hi Guys, i've just brought a 2003 A4 avant 1.8t 163, great car and has a good stereo, however i have a almost new Sony cd/radio with rear USB and a joystick controller + 8 GB of MP3's. Could you give me your opinion re, changing to the Sony? The Sony was in my megane and sounds great, however i understand its a pain to swap over as the B6 Audi doesn't have ISO connections.
If you think its worth the swap, can someone advise re, extra connections to the Sony. I've read somewhere about different ariel connector Farkas or something and buying a different loom.

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Mark

No it's all ISO on your A4. the only issue is the feed to the rear/sub amp, which is a non standard mini ISO connector.
You'll need an antenna adapter, fascia panel and an RCA input adapter to feed the rear/sub amp. You will find the rears and sub will be overpowered by the fronts when using an aftermarket HU as the new HU will have at least twice the power of the stock HU going to the fronts so you will need to fade to rear quite a bit to balance the sound. While you're there snip one of the skinny wires on the brown ISO front speaker harness. This is the feed to the dash centre speaker which should be disconnected by law.
Your A4 will not have a switched live feed to turn the HU on/off with the ignition, so you either need to wire one in from underneath the steering column or pair the yellow and red power wires from the Sony and feed both to the perm live on the Audi loom and then turn the HU on/off manually.
http://www.carstereos4u.co.uk/audi-...utoleads-pc9-404-harness-adaptor-819863--.php
http://www.carstereos4u.co.uk/audi-...udi-antenna-adaptor-2048017-385085-626687.php
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/audi-facia-adaptor-5.html

Last edited:
thanks for your help, do you think the sony will sound better? Also the ariel adaptor has another wire, where does that connect? I think my sony h/u has a set of RCA's for an amp, will it need the amp adaptor?

Cheers Again

Mark

Last edited:
The flying lead on the aerial adaptor connects to the power antenna feed on the Sony. This is used to power the A4's aerial amp.
Yes you will need the RCA input adapter but make sure the Sony has rear RCA's first. The PC9-404 also has a flying lead which again needs to be connected to the power antenna or "remote on" feed from the Sony. Will it sound better? not much without upgrading the speakers, you'll have more power going to the fronts but that's about it.

cheers mate, i'll order the parts. I think my sony head unit has bullet connector to swap over the live feed? I used to have a Fiat and have always brought sony H/U's and you can swap wires around. I'll post if it has, i'm also fitting a Parrot CK3200 at the same time, i'll post pick when they are done.

What colour will the perm live be on the auid loom?

Cheers

You can't just swap them over as there's nothing on the Audi loom to swap. You have to pair them and connect both to the red wire on the ISO connector (it's the one above the brown earth.

Just fitted the head unit and a 40gb HDD sounds much better than the concert 2. Its a shame but there was no space on the steering collum for the joystick commander!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for the advice Andy

Mark