EM TuningChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Speaker upgrade help

Hi Guys. I'm new to the forum and a first time Audi owner.
    I've recently purchased a 2000 A4 1.8T Quattro Sport and love it. I'm quite happy with the factory fitted sound system and since finding the hidden equaliser on the symphony headunit i've got it sounding better but i'm just wondering if it's worth upgrading the speaker system running off the head unit to get better sound and bass. It has a 4 speaker setup I think consisting of Front components and two in the parcel shelf. Haven't checked the rear doors but don't think it has any. I've noticed that the low Bass causes a bit of distortion on the factory speakers and was hoping to eliminate this with an upgrade and also get a better clearer sound from the components. Can anyone suggest a good working setup and provide me with some tried and tested speakers i could consider for the front and rear. I don't really want to remove the symphony system as I as I want to keep it as standard as possible and not bothered about amps and subs, just want a better sound with clearer bass.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    If you're sticking with driving the speakers from the feeble 2 x 20w on the Symphony then any speaker upgrade won't deliver a huge benefit although still worth doing. I would just upgrade the fronts as these are the important ones, and leave the rears. The stock units are 4" with 1" tweeters and you'll need adapter rings as the mount is non standard. Depth is also limited so slim fit are advised (about 54mm depth max). I have these Rainbows fitted with MDF adapters although you can use the plastic ones but you'll need to seal them to the door card as they don't fit properly:
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rainbow-slx230.html
    Last edited by AndyMac; 12th November 2009 at 12:01.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks mate. Looks good. Do you have them running off the symphony or have you gone for an aftermarket one? I'm currently looking into MP3 options with the symphony but may just go with aftermarket head unit. Just worried about the console looking rubbish with a single din head unit in there! Do you know how hard it is to replace with an aftermarket head unit?

Status
    All aftermarket.
    You can easily get a DD to single DIN fascia (not so easy the other way).
    Then go for a Becker GP which looks totally stock and is fantastic quality:
    http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/GP799...wma-tuner.html
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner