Audi A3 8P Audio Setup Not Working..

johal87

Reaction score
Hi, all im going to write this in as much detail i can, so it might be long..

I brought a 2004 a3 s line damaged, once the door cards were off i had a quick look, and it seems that its got Audiobahn componants fitted.. and the job has been done very well.. not some dogey quick fix.

im guessing the guy before had a aftermarket headunit in, or some thing, as i got the original (Syphony 2 headunit 6 disk front loading) working today as it was in safe mode for two hours...

Now with it all working, theres only sound from two speakers, just high treble from a speaker dead centre in the dash? and bass from the rear enclosed sub woofer in the boot.

Not working - Tweaters In A Piller, Front Door Speakers, and Rear Speakers.

Ive checked the main plugs and nothing looks messed around with..

The wires connecting to the front door speakers have been changed, and also the tweaters, as theres no plugs anymore, but the wires are hidden.. you can just see some of the aftermarket speaker wire going into componants box (have no idea what the name is for that)

Now, i dont really want a aftermarket headunit as i like the car to look suttle and OEM, what could i do to get these working? also at the same time i connect a parrot c2300 color bluetooth kit which is also getting no power?

Thanks guys

The wires for the new components are probably going into 2 crossover boxes. This is the box that separates the bass and the treble for the woofer and the tweeter. When you say you can see the new speaker cable is that from the speaker to the Xover or from the Xover to the HU? You will need to wire in the Xovers to the HU by the sounds of it as it's likely the previous owner had the fronts amped, so didn't wire them back to the HU.
Also do you know if the original system was standard or with the Bose upgrade? Sounds like it has the Bose upgrade otherwise the rears would be working along with the sub as they run off the same amp, but the previous owner could have disconnected them.
A pic of the wiring at the back of the HU will be a big help. The fronts just need to be rewired to the HU so that's pretty easy, just depends how much of the stock wiring has been left. Essentially you just need to get a standard ISO 8 pin female speaker wiring harness and wire that to the Xover and plug the ISO plug into the Symphony. The rears will depend on whether you have Bose or not. The only definitive way to tell (other than having Bose on the speaker grilles) is to pull one of the boot panels and check there's an amp on the drivers side or a Bose badged sub on the passenger side.

Hi mate,

il try and get some pictures tommorow.

the car was standard, NO BOSE upgrade. and no amp by the looks of it.

the wires behind the headunit look normal, they dont seem to have been cut or tampered with at all, theres no connectors, shrink wrap etc...

the wires i can see - theres wires going into the cross over box, wires running through the door panel upto the tweeters, and thats about it.

and again, the only speakers that work, centre of the dash at the front, and rear sub. even if i mess with the speaker settings eg balence, fader the only difference is between them to speakers.

This shows the cross over box under the masking tape, speaker, wires running into the speaker, and tweeters wires running through the door, going to the A piller

I found some more wires! which look likes a new loom just for the new speakers, hence whey theres no sound! now the orginal audi loom connects to this loom, but the loom wont connect to the audi headunit pictured below, im guessing the previous owner had a aftermarket headunit in, and also a sub as theres 4 phono plugs, now i've done systems before and i've only had two?

has anyone got an idea of what do next?

Last edited:
Just remove the new loom. This is an adapter used to connect an aftermarket HU so you don't need it. Unplug the black power ISO from the loom and plug this straight into the Audi HU and the same with the brown speaker ISO. This should plug straight in to give you your front speakers back. Basically disconnect & remove everything that isn't stock. You should be left with 4 connectors:
Black power ISO
Brown speaker ISO
Big Red plug with only a couple of wires on it
Long thin 20 pin mini ISO (multicoloured or black) this provides the feed to the rear amp for the sub & rear speakers.
As long as they haven't butchered the plugs it should be really easy to get everything working. You will have to look into why the sub is working but the rears aren't. But you'll need to remove some rear panels to do that.

I have tried the orginal plugs straight into the headunit.. as i only found the aftermarket stuff today..

what im worried of, is that the new speakers have been done by creating a new loom, as existing plugs have not been used by the looks of things? as i know you can buy adaptors for speakers which is a more expensive way of doing things, but it uses the original loom.

if i new loom has been created, how can i get the speakers to work with the original loom? thats probably way the rear speakers aint working yet the sub is....

its kind of hard to work on the car while its in the body shop, but i should have it in my hands by saturday which means ive got the weekend to mess with it.

i just didnt really want to have to go through the hassle of cutting and chopping wires etc.

thanks so far dude

You just need to get a standard ISO 8 pin female speaker wiring harness and wire the middle pairs to the Xover and plug the ISO plug into the Symphony. The outside pairs are for the rears, so these won't be used as no Audi HU's have an internal amp for rears.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99499

As said the rears run off the same amp as the sub on the non Bose system, so you'll need to investigate what they've done to these. Chances are they've also upgraded the rears and would have had them running off the same amp as the fronts, so would have disconnected them from the OEM amp inside the sub. You'll need to remove the rear speaker cards and reconnect the stock wiring to whatever they've installed.

* * * Update Time * * *

Headunit has been fitted, a Rca adaptor in out put? has been fitted..

Amp has been fitted - Vibe blackbox 3

Rear speakers are working through the amp

Fronts have no power what so ever? wiring is right by the looks of it, theres no damage to the wires, every now and then you can hear crackling through the crossover box by the sounds of it?

Any ideas mate?

where from mate?

behind the stereo?

Amp?

Door card?

Cheers