A3 00 plate Aftermarket Headunit help

Brooksy

Reaction score
Website
www.rackmire.co.uk
Hi, I'm new, Just got my self an Audi A3 1.8T Quattro 2000 plate.

I have a slight problem with putting in my own headunit. I bought the car with already a Pioneer head unit. But I want to put my nicer JVC head unit in instead. I've got it all working and wired up in a sense. But only the front speakers are working and the headunit loses memory after you pull the key out the ignition each time.

But As the car has the bose system I.e amplified sound. there's a pin connector with 3 plugs which are joined (Yellow, Green and Blue/Cyan) the red plug plugs into them all when joined but only has wires coming out of the right hand side of whcih I think must be the front speakers. the other two plugs guessing is cyan = sub/ amp and green = rear speakers? is this right? But there's no connectors for this. My headunit has 2x/3x RCA outputs available on top of subwoofer rca's and line-in RCA's.
The red plug has 3 sections to it obviously the right hand side is set up correct but the other 3 sections don't have any connectors or wires coming out of it...

Regards, to the memory, there is an additional spare yellow wire. Do you think this the memory lead also? even though the wire from my headunit is connected to another yellow wire labelled memory. or is there two that need to be joined? i.e I need to buy a splitter from somewhere for the yellow wire. Or there is a split red power wire left free can i attach the yellow to the red? or will that be dodgy? As I know memory wire does carry power just like the red one does.

Does anyone know what i need to get this all wired up and fitted properly?

Any help would be appreciated. I hope I've explained this well enough if not I can go into more detail.

thanks

Last edited:
Firstly you don't have the Bose system, you have the non Bose system. The Bose system doesn't have any speaker connections at the HU.
The non Bose system just has amped rears and sub with the fronts running off the HU.
You need to connect the red to yellow and the yellow to red. Audi wire them round the wrong way which is why you're not retaining memory. Yellow on the JVC needs to go to perm live which is red with white or yellow stripe on the Audi loom. Red on the JVC needs to go to the yellow with red stripe on the the Audi loom.
the front speakers are the standard Brown ISO plug
the multi coloured mini ISO connector provides 3 seperate functions. Blue is the CD changer, green is the DIS feed and yellow the pre-outs to feed the rear/sub amp. Obviously neither the changer or DIS will work with an aftermarket HU which is why they aren't wired to anything on the adapter.
You should have the red adapter plugged into the multicoloured plug and the two RCA's connected to the rear RCA's on the JVC. The reason it's not working is that you haven't connected the blue flying lead to anything, so the rear/sub "amp" is not getting it's 12v trigger to tell it to turn on. Just connect the blue flying lead on the adapter to the power antenna feed or remote on feed on the JVC and all will be well. You will now have to fade to rear quite a bit as you have at least twice the power going to the fronts from the JVC compared to the feeble 2 x 20w going to the rears and 50w for the sub.

Ok thanks for your reply... Sounds like sound advice ;)
1. Thanks for clearing up I don't have Bose system, wasn't sure.
2. I don't have a brown plug I'm pretty sure of it.
3. What's spare at the moment Is a blue wire with white line. Is this what needs to be connected? (Blue flying lead) If so what do you mean by power antenna/ remote? What colours are they. I have two yellow wires one is already connected to the yellow. but the spare one isn't should that be connected to the spare red I got?
4. I do have another red plug. But it only has 1 purple wire connected to it. From the old headunit there is a red plug connector that had rca's coming from it. IS that what plugs into that and then that plugged into the R + L RCA ports or the subwoofer RCA ports??

Thanks

The power antenna wire will be blue with white stripe and should be detailed on the diagram on the HU. Connect this to the blue with white stripe on the adapter with the RCA's. the RCA's need to connect to the rear RCA's of the JVC.
Forget the big red plug with the purple wire, it's not used.