RNS-E Newbie Questions

MarkSport

A3 2.0TDI 170bhp PhantomBlack
Reaction score
Website
www.audisportfans.com
Ok, let's be more objective.

Imagine that I have € 600 in my pocket, which parts should I order for me to have:

TV -> HDD with TDT ? Tv Tuner? DVB-T ?
Divx -> HDD? Ipod?
Rear Camara -> Camara and wires?

Until now, i know that i will need IMA+.

PS: SDS is available for all RNS-E models ? It cames with bluetooth module?

For TV, you'll need a FreeView / Anlogue tuner.... best option is a DVB-T "Dviersity" style tuner where there are two tuners, so you can watch on the move (once you've done the VIM hack).

Best to get something like a TV tuner and AV line-in in one, like the Ampire DVT200 (and yes, if wired correctly, this will allow controls via RNS-E fron end) - not sure if it needs any extra hardware to allow this though...

The divX then needs to be decoded by something like a mini-PC, laptop, PSP or iPod... I'm pretty certain that the RNS-E will not decode anything more than MP3 on it's own... I was just gonna get a £3 iPod Video cable for my old iPod Classic (note these cables don't normally allow video with iPod Touches and the £3 ones I bought off eBay defintely don't do video with the iPod Touch Gen2! Work perfectly with the iPod Video "Classic").... downside is that you have to launch videos via the iPod (presuably in the glovebox), but better that than the £400 Alpine iPod Video interface!

Check out HazzyDayz on vwcruise.com for ideas - they do the Alpine units, the diversity TV tuners, etc (about £650 for the tuner and AV lines in), incl fitting!

from another PM I sent earlier....

I wanted full integration and AV lines in, so I was looking at the Ampire DVBT200 (link2)... that's what HazzyDayz fit... I'm probably just gonna get them to fit mine next year...

When I was considering the non-integrated units, here were the viable contenders:
Kenwood KTC-D500E link2
Alpine: TUE-T150DV link2

Probably would go for the Alpine if the Ampire one with the extra AV line in and full integration wasn't such a strong draw... so I'm gonna hold off until I can afford the whole package.

And this is the Alpine KCE-425i iPod (video) interface - go to Alpine / vwcruise.com for the screenshots of it in action... a complete waste of cash, but very funky....

I want to do something like this with my ipod touch 3g.

S4_iphone_01-01.jpg

What parts i need to play video at rns-e? and also charge ipod?

To play video i can simply have apple tv out connected to IMA, and i change songs directly on ipod.

But how i charge it and hold it near rns-e, like on photo?

pretty sure the Alpine KCE 425i does charge the iPod - check with Hazzy Dayz (vwcruise.com) as he installs lots of these...

I want to do something like this with my ipod touch 3g.

S4_iphone_01-01.jpg

What parts i need to play video at rns-e? and also charge ipod?

To play video i can simply have apple tv out connected to IMA, and i change songs directly on ipod.

But how i charge it and hold it near rns-e, like on photo?

You can't watch iPod video on the RNSE because Apple have altered the software on ipod via iTunes so they will only work with Apple approved video displays. I know because I have tried it. You can use an iPod to phono + power cable (ebay €10) this will charge your ipod and used along with the Kufatec IMA it can connect to left/right audio in. Swap to another source if you want video.