Standard Audi a3 radio help

chol

Reaction score
hey just got my a3 and theres a problem with the radio volume, it stays at the same volume but if u turn the little knob it will either go full blast or turn off completly. is there any fix for this????

if not i have my own cd player that i can fit i know ill need some sort of fascia but is there anyway of keeping the display of whats on the radio etc on the dash where the temp, miles left etc is??? and could i still use the cd changer with this??

i also have a sub and amp i could fit if wanted, would i have 2 disconnect the standard audi sub??

If you do a search on the forum for this, it was a design fault on the radio itself, where an EEPROM wears out.

There is a DIY fix, but it's very tricky and the only sensible solution is to replace the HU. IIRC Stafford Audi were selling replacement HUs without the problem for a reasonable amount...

If you fit an aftermarket HU, you will lose the radio part of the display on the dash, and you will need fascia and wiring adaptors to make it work with the existing kit.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Just get on the bay & replace it for anything from £50-£100 & also seen stafford audi doing the deal, worthwhile as it then has 2 year warranty, common fault that tbh audi should of been pulled up on given how many went wrong & cost/time to swap to aftermarket head unit etc would be more hassle than getting same replacement unit for fairly cheap.

Sell the cd changer as it won't work with any aftermarket HU's.
The DIS display is a waste of time just look 12" to the left and all the ifo is on the HU itself. Only Blaupunkt integrate with the DIS and charge £70 for the privilege.
Definately disconnect the tupperware sub as it's terrible, but you'll need to rewire the rear speakers back to the new HU as the sub also powers the rears. You can pick up the feeds to the rears from the red sub loom so you don't have to remove the panels to get to the speakers.

which fascia bit will i need ive just looked on ebay they do fascia for models past 2000 mines 1998 and they only do these little adapter things are these any gd??

anybody else have an opinion on this? or what have u personally done? thanks

Well tbh without kissing ****, Andymac is pretty much the defacto resident automotive audio/visual person on here given his knowledge, thats why not many say much more, but I will say mate, overall, your best bet for ease & less hassle is just to replace the head unit like for like if you're ok with the current sound quality, if not then do as he suggests, I always found the sound ok tbh & all you need to do is remove & replace, doesnt get much easier than that.